Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poem for out of town guests gift baskets

Posted by KathyG_in_MI (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 04 at 23:56

Help, need a great poem for some gift baskets for the out of towners that come to the wedding. Wedding is Friday, June 4th! Help! We work better under stress!
I know there is someone out there with the words I need!
I did post on craft forum too.
Kathy G in MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poem for out of town guests gift baskets

We're glad you came all this way
To be part of our special day!

What will you be putting in the baskets? That might help if you'd like the poem to be longer... Hope this helps! :-)

-DuckyHead

o

We never used a poem, just a letter from us welcoming them and giving them all the info for the weekend and phone numbers they might need. On the back, we drew a map with all the locations they would need.

o

When we arrived at a particular wedding, we had a gift basket in our room and a little bottle of wine with a sweet, hand-written note saying simply: "We want you to know how much it means to us that you chose to be with us at this special time. Thank you for attending!" (and signed with the Bride and Groom's names) I think it was the fact that it wasn't a 'confetti' card...even though it was a short note, it was special because it was hand-written. Near the basket was a fact page of the city, map to and from ceremony and reception, time-line, and what turned out to be a blessing, was a list of everyone else we knew who were staying in the same hotel, so that we could call each other and meet for cocktails!

Hope that helps!

o

Why do you need a poem? I would just have a small piece of paper that says "Welcome to (insert location)". Personally, I think the poem is too "cutesy" and, as someone else mentioned in another post, the words "our special day" make me roll my eyes! I really like the idea of a list of the other guests in the hotel as someone noted above. Sometimes I attend out of town wedding not just to see the bride and groom, but because of all the other friends and family who will be there as well!

o

Thanks to one and all. This was for my DS's girlfriend. She was amazed at how quickly the responses came in. Love my THS friends!
Kathy G in MI

o

another vote for prose.

Poor prose! Such a lovely way to say so many truly wonderful things, and yet so many people reject it, in favor of poems, which are restricted to meter and rhyme! Not that meter and rhyme are bad, but theyr'e very restricting.

And Duckyhead, did you REALLY say "special day"? Eww, yuck! I tell you, I'm tired of adjectives: special, wonderful, etc.

How many people does she have? Maybe just write a note to each of them: "Frank & Joan--I'm so glad you could come be with us. I know it was a long trip, and I'm flattered you would travel that far for us." Or, "Susan: here's that great cheese I was telling you about--sorry I can't stop by the hotel, but we've got to grab a few minutes, just you and me. Come to the church early?"

or whatever is appropriate, even if it's just, "we're glad you could come, and we hope you're comfortable in the hotel."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here