Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to have quintet to play?

Posted by LynNichols (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 04 at 23:25

We have hired a quintet (2 violins, piano, harp and that big violin looking thing...I'm blanking on the name of it right now). Anyhow, the quintet is to play during the ceremony and for 2 hours at the reception. My question is should they play during the cocktail hour (actually 2hr) or during dinner? Cocktails are from 3-5 and dinner is at 5. I originally thought during the dinner. It is a fully served sit down semi-formal dinner. Would that be intrusive or would people like it? If we have them during the cocktail hour I fear that most people would be in the entrance to the hall where the bar is going to be and not actually in the dining room where the quintet would have to be. What have you guys seen done or plan to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to have quintet to play?

You are surely paying the quintet by the hour. Are they willing to sit out the two hours of the cocktail hour (which seems very long - most cocktail hours are 45 minutes to an hour max), or will you be charged for that time? Most groups play at more than one event per day, so if you take up their time for two hours while they do nothing, they may expect to be paid and that could increase your cost dramatically. It would be a good idea to check your contract and find out for sure.

o
RE: When to have quintet to play?

I'd have them during the cocktail hour. (If you're really going to have cocktails for two hours, be sure to have lots of chairs - that's a really long time, and people get tired.) My preference is for quiet (other than the din of people talking) during dinner.

Besides, I agree with Sweet Pea - if I were playing your wedding, I'd expect you to pay for all the time you used, including any breaks.

Good luck - it's tough to figure all this out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here