SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace3_gw

'Bridal Party'

grace3
19 years ago

A comment in a previous post (regarding unmatched numbers for the bride's & groom's attendants) has brought this to mind...

The comment was that the poster's bridal party had numbered 5, with 10 groomsmen.

My question/comment is this:

I have always thought of the bridal party as being *all* the attendants, plus, possibly, the flower girls/ringbearers, and sometimes even the ushers. Calling just the bride's "side" the bridal party does make more sense, but I had always seen the entire group being referred to that way.

It doesn't really matter, but on the other hand, it can make for miscommunication. For example, when DD was married, I asked the groom's mother to prepare light snack trays of fruits, etc. for the "bridal party" to have available in the dressing rooms before the ceremony. (This was something that would help her to feel more involved in the preparations, and she has the gift of hospitatlity, so I knew that it would be a pretty and healthful assortment).

Anyway, she only prepared a tray for the women's dressing room. When my son (an usher) asked about the tray for the men's dressing room, we realized that there had been a miscommunication over my use of the term "bridal party". It wasn't anything disastrous, and was easily remedied with a phone call to a friend, but it was an interesting example of differing understandings of term usages.

Any thoughts or comments?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio