SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal2008

MOB Colors

gardengal2008
12 years ago

My daughter is getting married in late September. The bridesmaids are in chocolate brown. The mother of the groom is in a sangria (deep wine/magenta) color gown. Any suggestions for the color dress for the mother of the bride? I was told that I can't wear the same color as the bridesmaids or mother of the groom. I look washed out in the champagne tones. I could use a little guidance.

Comments (67)

• suzieque
    12 years ago

That is an amazingly beautiful dress. I love everything about it!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gellchom - what does your dress look like? You mentioned in a post above that it's green.

• Related Discussions

when to start looking for mob/mog dresses??

Q

Comments (8)
    As the MOG, I waited till MOB chose her dress. As she lived in England and bought her dress here, it was stored (with everything else for the wedding) at my house in the guest room/wedding room. I procrastinated about my own dress until about 2 months before the date because the only things I ever wear are jeans or uniforms. I got a little nervous when I finally went shopping and couldn't find anything appropriate. A friend (recent MOG) gave me the name of her upscale dress shop; a shop that assigns you your own personal consultant who assesses the style of the wedding and your body size and comfort level and all that stuff. She picked out 6 dresses for me to try on--I bought the first one. She suggested the shoes and jewelry and purse, too. What a relief it was to have professional help. Good luck with your wedding. If I can pass on one piece of advice--be comfortable. It's a long day/night and you want to enjoy yourself, not think about holding your tummy in or how much your feet hurt.
    ...See More

Quick vote...my MOB dress/beach wedding

Q

Comments (47)
    For those following, yes I would prefer something flowing. Chiffon. So far I have been through so many trials of things that are not my style or color. I hate the large florals, as they remind me of yesteryear's chintz upholstery. But....I tried them anyway. My DD’s choice will probably be be a satin slip style dress for the ceremony. It will be made specifically for her. Not exactly beachy. Her reception dress might be a gold metallic cocktail mini dress. She sent me a photo, not sure if she bought it. I plan to keep looking. I somehow feel ordering dresses keeps the energy flowing and somehow the right one will come my way. In the mean time, we are heading to fall, so my window is shrinking.
    ...See More

New dress thread

Q

Comments (102)
    4P version of this pretty Calvin Klein dress available on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/265780294610 Pretty petite Adrianna Papell dress in 4P and 6P. Yes, it has sleeves, but they're sheer so I think it would be fine for a warm weather beach dress. https://www.sears.com/adrianna-papell-petites-womens-embellished-above-knee-sheath/p-A110125433 Floral full length Adrianna Papell dress with neutral background and pink floral pattern. Very elegant. 6P available. https://www.sears.com/adrianna-papell-adrianna-papell-womens-green-slitted-floral/p-A106340465
    ...See More

MOB dress - but not til a year from now!

Q

Comments (40)
    One " trend" that had me clutching my pearls while bridal gown shopping was an otherwise fairly formal dress with a see-through midriff with the boning showing. Boudoir bride? I think if you're at the beach, by all means show some skin, for a wedding dress, not so much. This is a fairly inoccuous example - some were much more sheer. Like this one
    ...See More
  • gellchom
    12 years ago

It's a sort of double sheath; the top layer is open on the sides from above the knee down. The top is very simple, fitted and sleeveless. The interest is in the draping and in the fabric, which is a shot shantung -- meaning it's sort of iridescent, because the warp and weft are different colors (i.e. the back side of the green fabric is blue), so that when the folds make shadows, they look bluish. The front panel is gathered up on one side at mid-thigh level, so that from there down it is sort of swagged over the inner sheath. Does any of that make sense? I wish I remembered how to post pictures.

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gellchom - Your dress sounds amazing!! I've seen that type of fabric that you described and I love it!

I am wishing I could see this "double sheath" construction with the gathering on one side. It sounds really nice!

If you can give any more info like the designer's name/ company and style number or where you purchased it, then I can look it up and post a picture.

-Laurie

• gellchom
    12 years ago

It's a one-of-a-kind. I bought it from the designer at her boutique in Tel Aviv when we were in Israel visiting our daughter -- I'd always enjoyed walking past those shops, and now I finally had an excuse to shop in one! Luckily, I was able to fit in the sample, so she gave me a big discount. It will only require a tiny bit of alteration to make the shoulders shorter. Plus, I could take it with me rather than waiting and having it shipped. She even made a wrap to go with it.

So there's no picture to look up, just the snapshots we took in the shop. If you tell me how, I'll post one, but be aware that it won't look like they do on those tall, thin, young models!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gellchom - How special that it's from Isreal and that the sample fit you....and a wrap to go with it, as well!

Do you know how to put your photos onto Photobucket? I have attached a link below that has step by step instructions. Give it a try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Pictures

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, here is the latest on my MOB dress. The salesperson told me Jordan Fashions states that a MOB gown takes 8 to 10 weeks to arrive, but usually come in sooner than that. Since I was nearing the 8 week mark I decided to check on my order status. Much to my dismay I learned that my gown order was never placed!!! They took my deposit and never ordered my dress. And this was after I called to correct them on the spelling of the name of the color I ordered! (I had ordered suede and the clerk typed in "slade". I did not want to take a chance on getting a slate colored gown.) I am a bit nervous at this point. Now the gown will not be in until August 24th, which I think is cutting it a bit close. I asked if they would put a rush on the reorder and the shop refused. I am calling again to double check that this order was placed. I hope there are no more glitches.

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Oh, gardengal! What a mess.

I would -- politely -- insist that the shop that made the error arrange, and pay for, rush service. You are absolutely entitled to it, based on the information you gave. If necessary, remind them that you will be reviewing their store on Twitter and want very much to give them a good review.

And I would rush to the best department stores in a 100-mile radius and find something just in case. Nordstrom and others will let you return things pretty much indefinitely, so you can buy a back-up and not decide until you are down to the wire, including alteration times if necessary. Von Maur ships for free, and they have gorgeous gowns, so you can look at their web site even if you don't have a Von Maur where you live. I bet you'll find something you like even better, and you'll be able to relax.

Thanks for the tutorial, Laurie. Here are 2 pictures of the dress. Bear in mind that these are just quickie snapshots shot from an awful angle, and the dress looks a LOT better with party shoes and fancy earrings!

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Oops, I meant Yelp, not Twitter.

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gellchom - What a BEAUTIFUL dress!! So happy to see the pictures you posted. I LOVE the fabric color and how it's blue underneath. The double sheath & draping is flattering and will show off the shine & iridescence of the fabric. It fits you very well and that's a classic and gorgeous neckline.

Good advice for gardengal that you gave...have a back up dress (from Nordstroms or wherever) that can be returned and Insist on rush service for the dress order that they messed up on. Call them everyday (hopefully, you're speaking with the store owner or manager). When they finally say it's shipped...ask them to provide you with a TRACKING NUMBER!!
    Keep us posted.

-Laurie

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Fabulous dress Gellchom! Lovely, classic style, with an elegant 'twist' -- my favorite!

GardenGal - I'd be *furious*! I really hate giving my money to stores that goof up like that and don't apologize profusely and take BIG steps to make things right. They don't deserve your business.

Of course, it's also not wise to 'cut off your own nose to spite your face' as the saying goes... But if you find a backup you like better, I'd have no qualms about cancelling the order and stopping your credit card.

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

Very pretty gown gellchom! Love the iridescent color. You will look fantastic at your son's wedding. NancyLouise

• robins143
    12 years ago

Oh, I wish I had checked in here earlier! My daughter got married last June and her BM dresses were chocolate brown and the MOG had a rasberry dress. I wanted a mossy green chiffon dress. That is my best color and I figured that the chiffon would hide any thing I wanted to hide. Then I tried on this dress at a local shop. The ruching took off 20 pounds. I asked for swatches to be ordered since this was taffeta. They never ordered the swatches! I found here online for half the price and it included the shawl. It came in 4 weeks. I will surely order from here again. I loved my dress!

Here is a link that might be useful: MOB gown

• marge727
    12 years ago

The gown is lovely gellchom, congratulations on getting a new daughter in law.
    Garden gal, how is the shop doing getting your dress?
    By the way, the advice you got about getting a back up dress and returning it if you don't need it, can be a problem. Special occasion dresses sometimes have a "no return" policy; check first, and sometimes thats noted on the tag.

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardengal here. My quest for a back up dress has not been going well. The no return policy is an issue. I am also tall, and not all gowns are long enough for me. I purchased low heeled dyeable shoes for the original dress, but now I am hesitant to get them dyed in case the original gown doesn't arrive in time. I would hate to be stuck with a pair of shoes to match a dress that I don't have. The store claims my replacement order is due to arrive by August 24th at the latest. I call weekly to check on the status. I am being optimistic! I was thinking of asking the store to dye my shoes for free as a courtesy for all the concern they have caused me. But then the shoes might go missing like the original dress order! LOL

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Wow, you must be biting your fingernails down to the nub.

Try Von Maur on line. They have free shipping and they do take returns, I think.

I'd go with metallic shoes that would go with more than one dress. They won't really show anyway. Mine are sort of a bluish metallic pewter, not green like my dress, and they look fine.

And I'd try again with a good department store, especially if they have a personal shopper service (which is free anyway). Even if they have a no returns policy on evening wear, the personal shopper might be able to end-run that for you.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Gardengal, I took a look at the Von Maur site, and they have several lovely dresses (one I almost chose, as a matter of fact). I especially like the Tadashi ones. They are pretty expensive, but probably no more than MOB dresses from bridal shops, and they are gorgeous. There are a few less expensive ones in the colors you can use, too.
    This one is rather similar to the one you ordered (or thought you did!):
    http://www.vonmaur.com/Product.aspx?ID=44910&Sale=n&pg=2

• Laurie
    12 years ago

That Tadashi dress gellchom linked to is gorgeous.
    Here's another dress to look at. It's made by Alex Evenings and online at Nordstroms http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/alex-evenings-portrait-collar-two-piece-taffeta-gown/3078633?origin=category&resultback=148

Here is a link that might be useful: Alex Evenings dress at Nordstroms

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Laurie and Gellchom, for the links to the dresses. They are all great possibilities. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I will let you know whether or not my gown comes in!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gardengal - Did your dress arrive today (August 24)?

• gellchom
    12 years ago

gardengal, what's happening with your dress?

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am happy to report MY DRESS IS FINALLY HERE!!!!! I picked it up on Sunday. It fits! I thought it was a bit short, but it is as long as the model's dress is in the picture. (This company does not offer extra length as an option, and the sample I tried on in the store was a bigger size and was too long. It seems the smaller the size, the shorter they cut the dress. At least I don't have to worry about hemming. LOL) I even inadvertently bought the same shoes that the model is wearing. They are being dyed to match, and should be done on September 1st, barring any unforeseen complications due to Hurricane Irene. I am planning on wearing my late grandmother's crystal bead graduated length necklace with the gown. Thank you all for your interest and concerns for my situation. Only 28 days until the wedding!!

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Yay!! I am so excited for you. Please remember to post a picture of yourself in your gorgeous dress.

7 days until my son's wedding. My daughter's bridesmaid dress is still at the tailor. But my dress is finished, and the wedding gown, the MOB dress, and my mother's dress are all hanging in my husband's closet. Looks like a formalwear store in there!

Now we are working on table assignments, place cards, hospitality room snacks, and a hundred other tasks, big and small. It's really fun. Tomorrow the bride and groom arrive ....

• suzieque
    12 years ago

I'm excited for both of you. I've attended 3 weddings this summer and, after a number of years of not attending any, found them touching and fun. I hope you'll both post a picture or 2.

Have fun!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

Great news!!! Glad to hear the dress arrived and that it fits : )
    Dying the shoes to match the dress is a very good idea. They will look extra nice with the slightly shorter long length dress.

How special to wear your late grandmother's crystal bead necklace, too.

I agree with suzieque. Both you and gellchom need to post back after the weddings...pictures, too.

All best wishes to you and your families!!!!

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gellcom, can you post some pics from your son's wedding? I hope everything went well!

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

Best wishes to you both! And yes, Pictures, Pictures, please! NancyLouise

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy to report that my shoes were finally completed and I have them in my possession. In the countdown mode!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gardengal - So happy that everything all came together!
    When is the wedding? ...this weekend?
    Thanks for keeping us posted : )

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Okay, here are a few pictures. We had such a great time!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gellchom - wow! what beautiful pictures...bridal party is gorgeous, ceremony and reception elegant, and your dress is stunning!!! Where (city & state) was the wedding? That is one of the largest and most magnificent reception venue I've ever seen! Love the marble floors, arched windows, & tall ceiling. I also noticed how nicely your dress looked with the blue & green stained glass in the background in the Temple. Thank you for sharing these photos and congratulations!!!

gardengal..your turn!

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures, gellchom! Laurie 2008 hit the nail on the head with her comments. I couldn't agree more. Our wedding is this coming Saturday...in the countdown mode for sure!

• daisyinga
    12 years ago

Gorgeous, Gellchom! The bride is so beautiful, the temple is amazing, and you looked terrific. So glad you had a wonderful time.

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much. It really was nice.

The wedding was here in Columbus, Ohio. The ceremony was at the synagogue, and the reception was at the Great Southern Hotel (now a Westin), a beautiful 120 year old hotel that is by far my favorite venue, and not just because of that gorgeous ballroom (which isn't really quite as huge as it looks in that photo -- there are bigger ones in town, but none as pretty). The staff and the food are just the best. President Obama has stayed in the suite they gave the bride and groom, so that is a fun fact for them.

Laurie, I never even thought about the stained glass and my dress. You're right.

Good luck, gardengal! We're all excited for you and are really looking forward to photos. Enjoy that fabulous, elegant dress.

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture? I would love to share a few pics from the wedding.

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Gardengal, first you have to upload the photos to a site like photobucket. Then you copy the HTML code and paste it into your message.

Hurry, we can't wait!

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put 2 pics on photobucket but I can not get them here. I keep getting a message rejection notice. Wish I could share them. I will keep tryng.

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is one picture!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a picture taken by a friend of my entrance with my sons.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Laurie
    12 years ago

gardengal - Beautiful picture!! All three of you look fabulous. Your dress looks perfect on you and the color went very well with your hair & skin tone as well as the flowers. Your necklace and hairstyle compliment the dress, also.

Thank you for posting this follow-up. If you have any more pictures, please share. Everyone loves pretty wedding photos. It's such a special and memorable event in a family. We are all extremely happy for you!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness...what a great picture of the entrance with your boys!! Your smile says it all...joy & happiness! Your dress looks amazing...it fits well and I can see your shoes and how the dye matched your dress : ) The beautiful shine of the fabric shows well in that photo...your friend took a nice pic!

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures of the both of you, gellchom and gardengal. The happiness we see in your faces speaks volumes! A long and happy married life to both newlywed couples. NancyLouise

• gellchom
    12 years ago

Garden gal ... WOW!!!!
    You look incredible! The dress looks even better on you than on the model. The necklace is just right.
    I love the colors of the flowers. Perfect with your beautiful dress.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

Gelcom and Gardengal, you both looked lovely. I would only wish to look half as good next September. The wedding will be along the coast but not on the coast in northern California, Big Sur. So I am not sure how warmly we would want to dress, and therefore what to look for. The reception will be indoors. Since I am a plus size, I don't know what I will ever find out there.

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sheilajoyce, I just saw a dress on Overstock.com that comes in plus sizes and was favorably reviewed. It is by Evanese. If you go to overstock.com and type in Evanese in the search bar you should be able to see it. Hope this helps. You have a lot of time to get your dress. You should be fine!

• Laurie
    12 years ago

sheilajoyce - I agree with you that both gellchom and gardengal are MODEL representatives of a beautiful mob & mog.

You can look beautiful, too! I looked at gardengal's suggestions on Overstock and they could be flattering on any figure.

I would check with the bride to get guidance on length of dress and color. As gardengal said, you have plenty of time and it's good you are starting early!

I'm from Southern Cal, but have been to Big Sur. It's a beautiful area with majestic trees & close to the coastline.

Laurie

Here are some pics of Evanese dresses

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock - Evanese

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a three generation shot of me, my daughter, and my Mom. My necklace belonged to my grandmother, my Mom's mother. I was so happy to be able to wear it at such an important occasion.

So glad there is the easy upload feature now for pictures!

• gellchom
    11 years ago

Oh, Gardengal, I'm so glad you posted another picture. You and your daughter and mother all look gorgeous, and you all look alike, too.

Tell whoever picked out the flowers that they are the loveliest I have ever seen! I adore all the color.

You definitely look even better than the model in that dress.

Here we come up on our children's first anniversaries! The top tier of their wedding cake was taking up half a shelf in the freezer all year -- then got ruined and had to be thrown out, along with everything else, after the long power outage in 110+ degree heat here a few weeks ago. Luckily, my daughter-in-law was fine with that. I was sort of relieved I didn't have to figure out a way to get it to them!

• gardengal2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the lovely post,gellchom!

My daughter chose the flowers. We worked with any excellent florist. He did an exceptional job with all of the flowers.

So sorry about your cake disaster. The baker gave Katie and Zach a certificate for a free cake on their one year anniversary so they wouldn't have to save the top tier. I thought that was a nice touch, especially since neither of us had the freezer space.

It is hard to believe that the one year anniversary dates are approaching. This time last year we were all caught up in wedding details. I enjoyed all the posts and advice from this forum...especially yours, gellchom. Happy anniversary to your son and daughter in law!