Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MOB Colors

Posted by gardengal2008 (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 13:09

My daughter is getting married in late September. The bridesmaids are in chocolate brown. The mother of the groom is in a sangria (deep wine/magenta) color gown. Any suggestions for the color dress for the mother of the bride? I was told that I can't wear the same color as the bridesmaids or mother of the groom. I look washed out in the champagne tones. I could use a little guidance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MOB Colors

Usually, the MOB chooses her dress first and informs the MOG what she is wearing so she can choose a dress in a coordinating color. What about a dress in a mid-brown tone, such as cafe a lait, something lighter than the bridesmaids but still brown. Or, since everyone is in darker shades, you might also consider green. If champagne tones aren't for you, then you should probably stay away from gold, yellow, peach and similar tones.

o

Congratulations!

I am a MOG (September also) and I finally found The Dress. It wasn't easy, but it was fun!

I found my dress before the MOB, and I really don't think it's a problem. I don't think it makes any difference at all what the MOG chose, as long as it wasn't exactly the same dress as the one you wanted. You can wear the same color or different colors; it doesn't matter.

My advice to you is not to make up your mind about color (or much else) in advance. Green, brown, burgundy, gray, plum, gold, beige, yellow, taupe, silver, and probably lots of other colors all could look smashing. Go shopping and try on dresses of the appropriate length, dressiness, etc. Don't limit yourself to any one color, and don't make up your mind that you "can't" wear a certain color -- sometimes for some reason it works even if it usually doesn't. Just look at dresses in any color that will harmonize with the wedding colors and choose the one you feel wonderful wearing.

If you want go to a bridal salon and get a "Mother of" dress, you need to go pronto, as they take an incredibly long time. But there is no need to do that; I had no luck at all there.

Have fun! Let us know what you find.

o

gellchom is right....Bridal stores that sell mob dresses usually take a long time to get the dress in your size & color. Some department stores like Macys and Nordstroms have a nice selection of evening/special occasion dresses, too. I was looking at the David's Bridal website and see a couple colors there that would go well with brown and wine. They have mocha, stone, chestnut, and an iridescent taffeta in a green that's very muted and sort of a golden green (hard to describe but very pretty). The mocha, stone & chestnut colors remind me of what sweet_pea10 suggested...a mid brown tone that's lighter than chocolate brown...but not as light as champagne.
I also think a rich, dark, saturated gold would look nice with the brown & the wine.
Has your daughter given you any suggestions?
Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide!
_Laurie

o

I would look for a dress that you like, fits, and is within your budget first. Then I would worry about color. You will find it is quite difficult to find attractive MOB dresses, so keep your options open.

o

I want to add a caveat to my advice not to worry about what colors you "can't" wear --

If that "can't" comes from some "rule" or from your friends telling you what you must do about colors, you can ignore it.

If it is your daughter telling you she really, really doesn't want you to wear the same color as the bridesmaids or her future mother-in-law, then she's still wrong if she thinks it's a rule, but you aren't being a chump or anything if you decide to go along with her wishes, either.

My son's fiance originally thought we should all wear the same color as the bridesmaids (green) -- even grandmothers, I think -- but when we told her that we thought it would be fine, perhaps even preferable, if we moms (let alone grandmas) just wore colors that would harmonize with the bridesmaid dresses (not to mention how hard it is to find green), she said that would be fine. But her mom and I were still wondering if she was just being nice and secretly really wished we would both wear green.

The point: I would have thought it was sort of silly if she had insisted that we must all wear green, but if that's what she wanted, or if she wanted us to wear potato sacks, for that matter, I would have been happy to indulge her.

Of course you know what happened: the dress I found happened to be green after all! Although not at all the same shade as the bridesmaids' gowns. But I think her mom is still not planning on green. I strongly doubt it will make a difference to her that my dress is green; she'll get green or some other color, whatever she finds that she likes best.

o

I found a dress with my daughter on Mother's Day! It is by Caterina, style 3005, and is in a color called suede. The gown was long enough for me without having to get extra length, which was nice(I am 5'10" tall). It should be in sometime in July,which is plenty of time for the big day. My daughter picked it out. I didn't think she would want me in a dress that had ruching, but she thought it was neat that we would coordinate somewhat in our dress styles. It has a bit of bling, which I really liked. We went back today to place the order, and the store matched an online price that I had found. That made me even happier with my choice. This was a definite mother-daughter bonding experience!! Thanks for sharing all of your insights!

o

That's wonderful! Sounds like it'll be perfect.

What is "ruching"?

o

Lovely choice and it will go nicely with the chocolate brown of the bridesmaids and the wine color of the mother-in-law to be.

How perfect that you and your daughter found it together on Mother's Day : )

So excited for you!

Caterina 3005
Photobucket

o

Thanks for posting the picture!!

o

What a beautiful dress! You will look like a queen. Lucky you to have all that beautiful height. Does it come with a wrap?

That color will be perfect.

Time to look for shoes, bag, and jewelry!

Have fun!

o

WOW! Gardengal that dress is drop dead gorgeous! You will look awesome in it. I also like the hairstyle on the model. It fits the dress well. So happy to read you and your daughter agreed on the same dress. I'm sure it was a special day for you both. NancyLouise

o

Thanks for all the support! And you are right...the hunt for accessories is on. The dress doesn't come with a wrap but I found a beautiful shawl on Ebay that I think will go perfectly with it. I may already have shoes.(I didn't think to take them with me when I ordered the dress.) I am really enjoying wedding planning with my daughter. She is more like me than I realized!! LOL

o

What a beautiful dress!

o

Regarding accessories: the dress I chose is unusual, and I am no fashionista, so I made an appointment with a personal shopper (I think they call themselves "stylists" now) at Nordstrom. It felt like a big indulgence, but the service is free, and even though accessories are more expensive there, on the average, than other stores, I didn't HAVE to buy everything, or even anything, there, and I can return the items if I find something else elsewhere I like as much (if I don't, then the stuff I got there will be worth it).

It was really fun; I had described the dress on the phone when I made the appointment and told him generally what I thought I needed (shoes and big earrings), and he had an assortment ready for me to try when I came (I brought the dress). He had EXCELLENT suggestions; I am so excited now. He did a much better job selecting than I would have on my own, he brought in a lingerie expert who told me I didn't need to buy a "shaper" as I'd assumed I would, and he helped me figure out how to wear my wrap and even gave me suggestions for nail polish, etc. So that was more value for the price, too.

If you have a good department store in your area, you might consider doing this, too. I felt like I was getting ready for the red carpet! (Who says brides have all the fun?)

o

Thanks for the personal shopper tip. Nordstrom's just opened a store in our area. I'll try the service out. My daughter is also looking for accessories. I see a shopping adventure in our future!

o

You will have a lot of fun. Be sure to bring any possibilities of jewelry and accessories you already own.

o

A gorgeous dress. You both are great shoppers!

o

That is an amazingly beautiful dress. I love everything about it!

o

gellchom - what does your dress look like? You mentioned in a post above that it's green.

o

It's a sort of double sheath; the top layer is open on the sides from above the knee down. The top is very simple, fitted and sleeveless. The interest is in the draping and in the fabric, which is a shot shantung -- meaning it's sort of iridescent, because the warp and weft are different colors (i.e. the back side of the green fabric is blue), so that when the folds make shadows, they look bluish. The front panel is gathered up on one side at mid-thigh level, so that from there down it is sort of swagged over the inner sheath. Does any of that make sense? I wish I remembered how to post pictures.

o

gellchom - Your dress sounds amazing!! I've seen that type of fabric that you described and I love it!

I am wishing I could see this "double sheath" construction with the gathering on one side. It sounds really nice!

If you can give any more info like the designer's name/ company and style number or where you purchased it, then I can look it up and post a picture.

-Laurie

o

It's a one-of-a-kind. I bought it from the designer at her boutique in Tel Aviv when we were in Israel visiting our daughter -- I'd always enjoyed walking past those shops, and now I finally had an excuse to shop in one! Luckily, I was able to fit in the sample, so she gave me a big discount. It will only require a tiny bit of alteration to make the shoulders shorter. Plus, I could take it with me rather than waiting and having it shipped. She even made a wrap to go with it.

So there's no picture to look up, just the snapshots we took in the shop. If you tell me how, I'll post one, but be aware that it won't look like they do on those tall, thin, young models!

o

gellchom - How special that it's from Isreal and that the sample fit you....and a wrap to go with it, as well!

Do you know how to put your photos onto Photobucket? I have attached a link below that has step by step instructions. Give it a try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Pictures

o

Well, here is the latest on my MOB dress. The salesperson told me Jordan Fashions states that a MOB gown takes 8 to 10 weeks to arrive, but usually come in sooner than that. Since I was nearing the 8 week mark I decided to check on my order status. Much to my dismay I learned that my gown order was never placed!!! They took my deposit and never ordered my dress. And this was after I called to correct them on the spelling of the name of the color I ordered! (I had ordered suede and the clerk typed in "slade". I did not want to take a chance on getting a slate colored gown.) I am a bit nervous at this point. Now the gown will not be in until August 24th, which I think is cutting it a bit close. I asked if they would put a rush on the reorder and the shop refused. I am calling again to double check that this order was placed. I hope there are no more glitches.

o

Oh, gardengal! What a mess.

I would -- politely -- insist that the shop that made the error arrange, and pay for, rush service. You are absolutely entitled to it, based on the information you gave. If necessary, remind them that you will be reviewing their store on Twitter and want very much to give them a good review.

And I would rush to the best department stores in a 100-mile radius and find something just in case. Nordstrom and others will let you return things pretty much indefinitely, so you can buy a back-up and not decide until you are down to the wire, including alteration times if necessary. Von Maur ships for free, and they have gorgeous gowns, so you can look at their web site even if you don't have a Von Maur where you live. I bet you'll find something you like even better, and you'll be able to relax.

Thanks for the tutorial, Laurie. Here are 2 pictures of the dress. Bear in mind that these are just quickie snapshots shot from an awful angle, and the dress looks a LOT better with party shoes and fancy earrings!
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Oops, I meant Yelp, not Twitter.

o

gellchom - What a BEAUTIFUL dress!! So happy to see the pictures you posted. I LOVE the fabric color and how it's blue underneath. The double sheath & draping is flattering and will show off the shine & iridescence of the fabric. It fits you very well and that's a classic and gorgeous neckline.

Good advice for gardengal that you gave...have a back up dress (from Nordstroms or wherever) that can be returned and Insist on rush service for the dress order that they messed up on. Call them everyday (hopefully, you're speaking with the store owner or manager). When they finally say it's shipped...ask them to provide you with a TRACKING NUMBER!!
Keep us posted.

-Laurie

o

Fabulous dress Gellchom! Lovely, classic style, with an elegant 'twist' -- my favorite!

GardenGal - I'd be *furious*! I really hate giving my money to stores that goof up like that and don't apologize profusely and take BIG steps to make things right. They don't deserve your business.

Of course, it's also not wise to 'cut off your own nose to spite your face' as the saying goes... But if you find a backup you like better, I'd have no qualms about cancelling the order and stopping your credit card.

o

Very pretty gown gellchom! Love the iridescent color. You will look fantastic at your son's wedding. NancyLouise

o

Oh, I wish I had checked in here earlier! My daughter got married last June and her BM dresses were chocolate brown and the MOG had a rasberry dress. I wanted a mossy green chiffon dress. That is my best color and I figured that the chiffon would hide any thing I wanted to hide. Then I tried on this dress at a local shop. The ruching took off 20 pounds. I asked for swatches to be ordered since this was taffeta. They never ordered the swatches! I found here online for half the price and it included the shawl. It came in 4 weeks. I will surely order from here again. I loved my dress!

Here is a link that might be useful: MOB gown

o

The gown is lovely gellchom, congratulations on getting a new daughter in law.
Garden gal, how is the shop doing getting your dress?
By the way, the advice you got about getting a back up dress and returning it if you don't need it, can be a problem. Special occasion dresses sometimes have a "no return" policy; check first, and sometimes thats noted on the tag.

o

Gardengal here. My quest for a back up dress has not been going well. The no return policy is an issue. I am also tall, and not all gowns are long enough for me. I purchased low heeled dyeable shoes for the original dress, but now I am hesitant to get them dyed in case the original gown doesn't arrive in time. I would hate to be stuck with a pair of shoes to match a dress that I don't have. The store claims my replacement order is due to arrive by August 24th at the latest. I call weekly to check on the status. I am being optimistic! I was thinking of asking the store to dye my shoes for free as a courtesy for all the concern they have caused me. But then the shoes might go missing like the original dress order! LOL

o

Wow, you must be biting your fingernails down to the nub.

Try Von Maur on line. They have free shipping and they do take returns, I think.

I'd go with metallic shoes that would go with more than one dress. They won't really show anyway. Mine are sort of a bluish metallic pewter, not green like my dress, and they look fine.

And I'd try again with a good department store, especially if they have a personal shopper service (which is free anyway). Even if they have a no returns policy on evening wear, the personal shopper might be able to end-run that for you.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

o

Gardengal, I took a look at the Von Maur site, and they have several lovely dresses (one I almost chose, as a matter of fact). I especially like the Tadashi ones. They are pretty expensive, but probably no more than MOB dresses from bridal shops, and they are gorgeous. There are a few less expensive ones in the colors you can use, too.
This one is rather similar to the one you ordered (or thought you did!):
http://www.vonmaur.com/Product.aspx?ID=44910&Sale=n&pg=2

o

That Tadashi dress gellchom linked to is gorgeous.
Here's another dress to look at. It's made by Alex Evenings and online at Nordstroms http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/alex-evenings-portrait-collar-two-piece-taffeta-gown/3078633?origin=category&resultback=148

Here is a link that might be useful: Alex Evenings dress at Nordstroms

o
Another Nordstroms dress

Here's another dress at Nordstroms
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/alex-evenings-off-shoulder-mesh-gown/3012279?origin=related-3012279-8000017-0-1-1

Here is a link that might be useful: Another dress

o

Thanks, Laurie and Gellchom, for the links to the dresses. They are all great possibilities. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I will let you know whether or not my gown comes in!

o

gardengal - Did your dress arrive today (August 24)?

o

gardengal, what's happening with your dress?

o

I am happy to report MY DRESS IS FINALLY HERE!!!!! I picked it up on Sunday. It fits! I thought it was a bit short, but it is as long as the model's dress is in the picture. (This company does not offer extra length as an option, and the sample I tried on in the store was a bigger size and was too long. It seems the smaller the size, the shorter they cut the dress. At least I don't have to worry about hemming. LOL) I even inadvertently bought the same shoes that the model is wearing. They are being dyed to match, and should be done on September 1st, barring any unforeseen complications due to Hurricane Irene. I am planning on wearing my late grandmother's crystal bead graduated length necklace with the gown. Thank you all for your interest and concerns for my situation. Only 28 days until the wedding!!

o

Yay!! I am so excited for you. Please remember to post a picture of yourself in your gorgeous dress.

7 days until my son's wedding. My daughter's bridesmaid dress is still at the tailor. But my dress is finished, and the wedding gown, the MOB dress, and my mother's dress are all hanging in my husband's closet. Looks like a formalwear store in there!

Now we are working on table assignments, place cards, hospitality room snacks, and a hundred other tasks, big and small. It's really fun. Tomorrow the bride and groom arrive ....

o

I'm excited for both of you. I've attended 3 weddings this summer and, after a number of years of not attending any, found them touching and fun. I hope you'll both post a picture or 2.

Have fun!

o

Great news!!! Glad to hear the dress arrived and that it fits : )
Dying the shoes to match the dress is a very good idea. They will look extra nice with the slightly shorter long length dress.

How special to wear your late grandmother's crystal bead necklace, too.

I agree with suzieque. Both you and gellchom need to post back after the weddings...pictures, too.

All best wishes to you and your families!!!!

o

Gellcom, can you post some pics from your son's wedding? I hope everything went well!

o

Best wishes to you both! And yes, Pictures, Pictures, please! NancyLouise

o

Happy to report that my shoes were finally completed and I have them in my possession. In the countdown mode!

o

gardengal - So happy that everything all came together!
When is the wedding? ...this weekend?
Thanks for keeping us posted : )

o

Okay, here are a few pictures. We had such a great time!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

gellchom - wow! what beautiful pictures...bridal party is gorgeous, ceremony and reception elegant, and your dress is stunning!!! Where (city & state) was the wedding? That is one of the largest and most magnificent reception venue I've ever seen! Love the marble floors, arched windows, & tall ceiling. I also noticed how nicely your dress looked with the blue & green stained glass in the background in the Temple. Thank you for sharing these photos and congratulations!!!

gardengal..your turn!

o

Beautiful pictures, gellchom! Laurie 2008 hit the nail on the head with her comments. I couldn't agree more. Our wedding is this coming Saturday...in the countdown mode for sure!

o

Gorgeous, Gellchom! The bride is so beautiful, the temple is amazing, and you looked terrific. So glad you had a wonderful time.

o

Thank you all so much. It really was nice.

The wedding was here in Columbus, Ohio. The ceremony was at the synagogue, and the reception was at the Great Southern Hotel (now a Westin), a beautiful 120 year old hotel that is by far my favorite venue, and not just because of that gorgeous ballroom (which isn't really quite as huge as it looks in that photo -- there are bigger ones in town, but none as pretty). The staff and the food are just the best. President Obama has stayed in the suite they gave the bride and groom, so that is a fun fact for them.

Laurie, I never even thought about the stained glass and my dress. You're right.

Good luck, gardengal! We're all excited for you and are really looking forward to photos. Enjoy that fabulous, elegant dress.

o

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture? I would love to share a few pics from the wedding.

o

Gardengal, first you have to upload the photos to a site like photobucket. Then you copy the HTML code and paste it into your message.

Hurry, we can't wait!

o

I put 2 pics on photobucket but I can not get them here. I keep getting a message rejection notice. Wish I could share them. I will keep tryng.

o

Here is one picture!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wedding

o
MOB Pictures

Here is a picture taken by a friend of my entrance with my sons.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Boys

o

gardengal - Beautiful picture!! All three of you look fabulous. Your dress looks perfect on you and the color went very well with your hair & skin tone as well as the flowers. Your necklace and hairstyle compliment the dress, also.

Thank you for posting this follow-up. If you have any more pictures, please share. Everyone loves pretty wedding photos. It's such a special and memorable event in a family. We are all extremely happy for you!

o
Entrance with your boys : )

Oh my goodness...what a great picture of the entrance with your boys!! Your smile says it all...joy & happiness! Your dress looks amazing...it fits well and I can see your shoes and how the dye matched your dress : ) The beautiful shine of the fabric shows well in that photo...your friend took a nice pic!

o

Beautiful pictures of the both of you, gellchom and gardengal. The happiness we see in your faces speaks volumes! A long and happy married life to both newlywed couples. NancyLouise

o

Garden gal ... WOW!!!!
You look incredible! The dress looks even better on you than on the model. The necklace is just right.
I love the colors of the flowers. Perfect with your beautiful dress.

o

Gelcom and Gardengal, you both looked lovely. I would only wish to look half as good next September. The wedding will be along the coast but not on the coast in northern California, Big Sur. So I am not sure how warmly we would want to dress, and therefore what to look for. The reception will be indoors. Since I am a plus size, I don't know what I will ever find out there.

o

sheilajoyce, I just saw a dress on Overstock.com that comes in plus sizes and was favorably reviewed. It is by Evanese. If you go to overstock.com and type in Evanese in the search bar you should be able to see it. Hope this helps. You have a lot of time to get your dress. You should be fine!

o

sheilajoyce - I agree with you that both gellchom and gardengal are MODEL representatives of a beautiful mob & mog.

You can look beautiful, too! I looked at gardengal's suggestions on Overstock and they could be flattering on any figure.

I would check with the bride to get guidance on length of dress and color. As gardengal said, you have plenty of time and it's good you are starting early!

I'm from Southern Cal, but have been to Big Sur. It's a beautiful area with majestic trees & close to the coastline.

Laurie

Here are some pics of Evanese dresses

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock - Evanese

o

Here is a three generation shot of me, my daughter, and my Mom. My necklace belonged to my grandmother, my Mom's mother. I was so happy to be able to wear it at such an important occasion.

So glad there is the easy upload feature now for pictures!

o

Oh, Gardengal, I'm so glad you posted another picture. You and your daughter and mother all look gorgeous, and you all look alike, too.

Tell whoever picked out the flowers that they are the loveliest I have ever seen! I adore all the color.

You definitely look even better than the model in that dress.

Here we come up on our children's first anniversaries! The top tier of their wedding cake was taking up half a shelf in the freezer all year -- then got ruined and had to be thrown out, along with everything else, after the long power outage in 110+ degree heat here a few weeks ago. Luckily, my daughter-in-law was fine with that. I was sort of relieved I didn't have to figure out a way to get it to them!

o

Thanks for the lovely post,gellchom!

My daughter chose the flowers. We worked with any excellent florist. He did an exceptional job with all of the flowers.

So sorry about your cake disaster. The baker gave Katie and Zach a certificate for a free cake on their one year anniversary so they wouldn't have to save the top tier. I thought that was a nice touch, especially since neither of us had the freezer space.

It is hard to believe that the one year anniversary dates are approaching. This time last year we were all caught up in wedding details. I enjoyed all the posts and advice from this forum...especially yours, gellchom. Happy anniversary to your son and daughter in law!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here