SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vertigo123

How to reduce the cost of a wedding photographer

vertigo123
16 years ago

When my brother got married last year, he hired a photography student from the local university to take his wedding pictures. The student did not cost as much and agreed to give my brother his negatives for little or nothing afterwards. A professional normally charges $1000 -1500 for them.

IÂve just got engaged myself, so IÂm looking to save money when I get married (I didnÂt realise that a wedding costs this much!). Anyway a few ideas IÂve come up with to save money on a wedding photographer are to use a student from the local university or TAFE like my brother, or to give out disposable cameras to our guests.

Students may not have the experience of shooting hundreds of weddings, but they will have a fresh and artistic eye and capture some of the greatest moments.

My only problem with hiring a student is that I will want to see a portfolio of their work and create a working contract. IÂll also want to make sure that they know how to work with large groups of people. It might also be best to specify some general outlines of what needs to be done on the day. E.g. when taking a photo of the bride, include her whole dress not just from the knees up.

The other option to save money was to place a disposable camera on each of the reception tables. That way the guests can take photoÂs of each other. It should reduce costs and hopefully provide a more personal touch to the pictures.

Anyway, those are the ideas IÂve come up with in regards to saving costs on a photographer. Does anyone have any more ideas? Can anyone see likely problems with my ideas above?

Here is a link that might be useful: wedding photographer

Comments (7)