Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: gift card showers

Posted by tiffanybunch (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 0:44

I think it is a good idea. How many people do you know that tell you to register and then nothing on your registry is even purchased? For a bride that is already planning a wedding and probably completely nervous about new beginnings she probably doesn't need extra stress of trucking through the store scanning items that in most cases she already has. As for a gift is from the heart, well....We all know why people have showers anyway. Why not save them a trip to the return line and just let them have fun with their new spouse on a shopping spree. Unless of course you actually have a gift you made or put a lot of effort in because come on how many "gifts from the heart" are purchased on the way to the shower anyway?? I'm going to do a gift card party. To add a personal touch I thought it was a clever idea to create a scrap book for the bride to be. Each guest will create a page. It will be a scrap book party that we bring gift cards to!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: gift card showers

Though I am sure your intentions are good, I probably wouldn't attend such a shower if invited. It sounds too much like an out-and-out gift grab. We all know that the purpose of a shower is to help a bride set up her new home, so it is expected that gifts will be given. However, to tell guests that they should bring only gift cards seems a bit much.

What happens when the bride receives 5 cards from one store, 2 from a couple of others, etc.; not enough from a single store to secure an item she may want or need unless she adds money to it. She will spend time trying to find items within the price range available and may settle for something she doesn't really want if she is unwilling to add money. That, to me, seems like a much greater hassle than registering for gifts.

And why would a bride be "trucking through the store scanning items that in most cases she already has?" If she has it, and doesn't need it, then why add it to her registry?

This may work in your social circle, but in my area, it wouldn't go over well.

o

"For a bride that is already planning a wedding and probably completely nervous about new beginnings she probably doesn't need extra stress of trucking through the store scanning items that in most cases she already has."

The brides-to-be that I have known ENJOY going out and selecting items for their new home. No stress at all... just loads of fun!

AND I don't know of any that would scan items she already has... unless she needs more of that item to complete a set.

Bad idea... but maybe that is the norm wherever you are...

o

Sorry, but I would find an invitation to a gift card shower to be just as tasteless as an invitation to a cash shower. It's virtually the same thing.

I also think that it would be really boring, and even a little embarrassing, to sit and watch a bride "unwrap" a stack of gift cards. Kind of hard to ooh and ahh over that ... The only difference between the gifts would be the amount on the card. How very pleasant, and how satisfying to watch the expression on the bride's face when she opens my carefully selected ... gift card.

I'm with Sweet Pea when she says, "And why would a bride be 'trucking through the store scanning items that in most cases she already has?' If she has it, and doesn't need it, then why add it to her registry?"

I don't know what to make at all of the OP's comment, "As for a gift is from the heart, well....We all know why people have showers anyway. Why not save them a trip to the return line and just let them have fun with their new spouse on a shopping spree." Let me get this right: the reason people have showers is to get others to fill in their own shopping list? That is news to me. I thought it was for friends of the bride to buy her gifts for her new home, whether from the registry or not, and to have fun seeing her open the pretty packages and discover the thoughtful gifts chosen by the guests -- from the registry or not.

A wedding is not an excuse for a "shopping spree" for the couple. Gifts are of course customary, but the idea is to outfit the couple's new home -- not to be the functional equivalent of winning a lottery or getting "fun dollars" from a mall. Cash gifts aren't meant to be spent all at once; they are for buying the things you need to set up a household, plus perhaps a few treats, and -- gasp -- saving the rest.

I do, however, love the idea of a scrapbook party with each guest making a page for the bride. What a treasure she will have. I would also send pages to friends and relatives far away who cannot attend. I would just do that, and not direct the guests to buy gift cards, too.

Something tells me that the original post isn't what it seems.

o

Why gift cards? Why not just bring cash or checks? Dreadful! Tasteless! And no fun at all!

o

I agree with the others. If there is really nothing the bride needs, what is she going to do with the gift cards? If she already has everyday items then she can register for holiday and special event items. I was 35 when I married DH and had a LOT of things and still managed to find enough things to register for.

I also think the gift card shower will be awkward for guests. What does the bride do, open the gift card and say, "oh look, a card to Home Depot from Aunt Mary...a card to Macy's from cousin Cindy..."? Boring! Does she mention the dollar amount? Awkward and embarrassing.

If you really plan to do this please consult the bride. Most women I know would be mortified if their bridesmaids did this. It's right up there with the "address your own thank you note".

o

It may just be me ladies, but when I first read this post it seemed like it was a fake to me. The OP just did it to get a raise out of us here. Some of the things she stated were inflammatory to me. "trucking to the store, gift from the heart," ect. That and she posted the same day she registered. But if by chance it is real...gift card showers are tacky. I probably would not be attending. I would send a real gift, not a gift card. NancyLouise

o

I agree with you Gellchom--and nancylouise, it seems odd to me. Isn't it strange that sometimes when you read a post you want to check the date they joined--and so often its the same day?

Some posters do seem recent and deliberately controversial or at the least strange. I wonder if the site does it to keep people interested and on the site longer. If you think this post is odd, try the stepfamily forum. thats a tough crowd.

o

Me too, when reading the post I was anticipating some kind of advertising for something.
The OP just did it to get a raise out of us here. Kinda like starting up another one of those shoes or no shoes in the house threads.

But like NancyLouise said, But if by chance it is real... I'm in agreement with what everyone else said: it's tacky and it will make for a very awkward shower. Do you really believe that no one who attends the shower will be giving a "gift from the heart"? That's a very cynical and sad point of view. I hope for the bride's sake that she doesn't feel that way.

o

If the original post is fake, get a life.

If it isn't (and I'm not sure it is fake; perhaps she just stumbled on this forum and, after reading a bit, decided to tell about her plans especially after reading the thread about the out of control gift registries), I agree that I would be totally turned off. I most likely wouldn't go, because it seems to me that it's all about gimme gimmee. Part of the fun of a shower is seeing the bride open the gifts, as others have said.

If this is really in your plans, please reconsider. And please come back and comment here. To post once and not come back makes me wonder if you ever returned to read responses to your post.

Suzieque

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here