Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
western wedding theme....

Posted by trinitytx (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 18:59

i will be holding a western themed wedding at my home for a dear friend in june.
can anybody give me ideas on what kind of outdoor decor to use?
we are having a texas traditional bbq and casual wedding, but really need some ideas on how to decorate the yard and tables.
never done this before.....thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: western wedding theme....

at walmart they have alot of texas dinnerware and decor (at least in san antonio) the even have baskets shaped like texas and chip platters and anything else they could make in the shape of the state or have its flag on.

o

It would be pretty to string some lights around the place. From tree to tree or fence to patio cover. Make those cute paper sack lanterns. Luminaria are so beautiful--Put sand in the bottom of the sack, a candle in the sack, and outline the front walk and the back yard. You can use colored sacks for your theme or plain old brown lunch bags. You can also cut out a heart design on each sack. Cute to make up a branding iron of their new initial. A hitching post???

Buy some bales of hay and place them here and there. They can be decor and also something to sit on.

o

Use checkered tablecloths, perhaps ceramic cowboy boots to hold centerpieces or small buckets. Definitely go with the straw bales. How about bandanas for napkins? You can get them in quantity at places like Oriental Trading Post.

o

ropes (lassos)....cowboy hats...definitely the straw bales...

an idea for the cake: when my sister was married 13 years ago, I made her cake. The bottom tier was rectangular and we had the entire perimeter outlined with a "corral" -- we bought a child's cheap plastic western figurine set and used the "fence" pieces from it (we had to paint the pieces so that they were white). The second, separated tier, which contained the cake topper, was much smaller, and round. It really turned out cute -- sorry I don't have a picture to show you.

The cake topper was something like this one. If you do a search on "western cake topper" you'll get a lot of results -- toppers ranging from elegant to more whimsical.

Let us know what decor you decide on!!

Here is a link that might be useful: cake toper

o

you all have the cutest ideas! i so appreciate your input.
the wedding is next month, and i can tell the bride is getting nervous....just bride jitters i am sure.
but my duty, as i see it is just to have my house and yard as ready as ready can be. your suggestions are awesome!
i have already put a dinner bell on layaway, the triangle type, and i am going looking for light strings tomorrow..
bales of hay too!!
keep the ideas coming, please please please!!

o

Make some WANTED posters up with the groom's picture.

o

How about Wanted posters with the bride's picture? A modern spin on an old West concept.

o

i LOVE the "wanted" pictures idea. i am for sure going to do that and not tell them.

i have several trees in the yard to put them on.

awesome idea!!! thanks!!

trin

o

A dear friend's daughter had a western theme reception and all the guests were instructed to wear western attire. However, the bride wanted a formal church wedding. So, the groom and grooms men wore long tail tuxes. For the reception, the bride had a detachable train & changed to white lace up ropers and the grooms men kept the tails and changed to black Levis and boots and hats. The tables were decorated with old cowboy boots (the mother of the bride had a friend who collects them) and mason jars with wildflowers. Barbeque was served. While we were waiting, a slide show o fthe bride and groom from childhood through courtship played. Bales of hay ringed the dance floor. The dancing began with a family tradition - a grand march. They are so much fun, but someone has to know how to lead them. The bride and groom first dance was, "May I have this dance for the rest of my life?" and father/daughter dance was "I'll waltz across Texas with you."

o

Has the wedding took place yet? If so please give us all the details and of course pics!!!
Cheri

o

no, it's coming up soon, Sunday the 26th of june.
it's getting down to the wire, so i am doing a lot of running, yard work, and a bit of painting outside.
thank goodness for weddings and company, half this stuff would never get done!!
going to have a preacher from the stockyards here in fort worth do the ceremony. he shoots his gun off to pronounce the couple man and wife...
how fun is that?

i need to quit acting like the nervous bride and now just kick back and enjoy the day....

i will post pics when i have them.

thanks to all who gave great ideas!!

o

"he shoots his gun off to pronounce the couple man and wife..."

COOL!!!

o

ooh. you could use the cute little red and white checked table cloths (don't know if that was suggested already but it would be adorable) and you could have cut flowers in mason jars as centerpieces and instead of a punch bowl you could use one of those old time tin washtubs...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here