Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greek wedding

Posted by robins143 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 17:03

Hi,
My son is marrying into a wonderful, large, very traditional Greek family this summer. We are hosting the rehearsal dinner at the reception venue, in a room which is quite modern.

I was wondering if there are any traditions we should know... And I am looking for a way to meld the strong Irish heritage my son feels with the Greek culture that will be abundant.

Thanks for any help!

Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greek wedding

When your son is marrying into a strong culture like your future DIL's, I would not try to compete with it, but rather do something totally different for the rehearsal dinner. If you want to include Irish foods or themes, do so. Make it a fun melding of heritages. Guests will be exposed to the Greek side at the wedding and reception, so you don't want to do the same thing or try to do the same things and possibly fall short. If you know the groom's mother, you might ask her if there is anything traditionally done at a rehearsal dinner that you can include. You could also ask the groom. Most of all, keep it classy, have fun and enjoy.

o

Also find out if there is anything that might be considered bad luck that you should avoid.

My sister-in-law is Turkish. Apparently, it is considered bad luck for a car with a bride in it to drive backwards, you know, like backing out of a parking spot.

So right after the wedding, my brother was going to drive away with his new bride, but the bride's brothers had boxed his car in so that he'd have to back up. Which he couldn't do, or he'd jinx the marriage. I think he had to pay each brother about $10 to move his car.

So while you might not want to include Greek customs, you might also want to avoid anything that might look as if you want the marriage to fail!

And I agree with sweet pea--don't make the rehearsal dinner Greek--make it your own. Your family's culture is as important as her's.

o

That is what I am trying to find out... what is bad luck or offensive...
There will be almost 100 people there right from Greece and I am stressed about not offending them. They had a ceremony for the engagement party with an exchange of rings and certain foods had to be served. I read that it is bad luck to wear black in the church, but that is all I found. Her family is so sweet, they just say whatever you want to do is fine.

o

All I know is that the bridal parties should always be done on the dates that fall on odd numbers for good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here