Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post Wedding Reception Invitation

Posted by sophie1975 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 13:40

We are getting married in the Dominican Republic and having a (tropical theme) post wedding reception a month later. Could you give me some unique verbiage to use on the invitations for the post wedding reception. It is an evening event and we are serving finger foods and having a dessert table.

I would also like to make up little notes to put in the gift baskets I'm giving my family and friends that are attending our wedding...any ideas for verbiage for that note.

Thank you!
Sophie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post Wedding Reception Invitation

Congratulations!

I'm not sure what you mean by "unique verbiage." If what you mean is something clever and creative, you may want to consider that it might be counterproductive. After all, the real purpose of any invitation is to convey information that the guests really need about the event. In your case, you need to be especially clear, because you are having the reception a month after the wedding, and you don't want anyone to be confused. It's hard enough to word such an invitation for clarity without compounding it with attempts at clever or original language. You want your guests to be charmed, not annoyed by having to read the thing three times and then make a phone call to find out to what they are being invited. It's like a personal letter vs. a pre-printed greeting card, no matter how nice. They are going to be charmed by the fact that it is YOUR marriage, not by "unique verbiage."

Miss Manners warns that people really get themselves into trouble trying to be too original or personal with invitation wording, and that it's best to let your happiness shine through the traditional forms. (In one response, she refers to her "fervent rejection of the 'originally' worded pseudo-formal announcement. It is vulgar, in its assumption that this wedding is somehow more joyous than others, and it is open to severe misunderstanding." Another time, I remember her writing something about an invitation that said something like, "Please join us as we celebrate our love." She said that it sounds like at best the couple are bragging that somehow their love is more important or unusual than anyone else's, and at worst that perhaps there is something wrong there, if they feel a need to make such a point of it. I think that may be a bit harsh, but at the same time I see her point about using traditional, or at least very simple, wording.

I found a few samples on this site:
http://www.invitationconsultants.com/sww-private_ceremony.asp. As you can guess, I prefer the ones that aren't poems. I like "verse 3" the best. You will need to put in the date of your reception, though. I would put the date, time, and location of your reception on separate lines, so they will pop out and no one will get confused by the first date (of the actual wedding). You may even want to avoid the word "reception," if you think that will confuse people.

For the welcome baskets, of course it really doesn't matter. Personally, I don't usually like little poems and such -- they usually seem cutesy to me, and again, I wouldn't want to let an effort to make a cute poem get in the way of giving the guests the real information they need. Around here, friends often make up welcome bags with snacks for out of town guests, and the hosts include a letter welcoming everyone, thanking them for coming, and including all the information they will need for the trip: times and locations of all events, directions if needed, cell phone numbers of helpful people, etc. If it is only a few people (or really I guess the relevant number is baskets, not individuals), I think it would be really nice to put the info on a separate page and hand write a short, personal note for each basket. Wouldn't you feel special if you found that waiting for you?

This is all just my opinion, of course. There is nothing "wrong" with cleverness or originality. But I think often people worry needlessly that if they stick to simplicity, clarity, and convention, their invitations, etc., will seem impersonal and "blah." They really don't -- YOUR NAMES on that invitation make it absolutely unique and wonderful to your guests. Nothing else you could write will accomplish that as much.

o
RE: Post Wedding Reception Invitation

i'm not sure about that wedding reception invitation card posting here, how we can use post wedding reception invitation?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here