Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Price range for caterers?

Posted by silversarah (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 13:10

Hi!

I'm getting married this summer and am trying to arrange for a catered meal at the reception. My mom got in touch with a caterer who did her best friend's daughter's wedding, who she said was really good. They just sent us some sample menus, which look amazing -- unfortunately, so are the prices. My fiance and I are experiencing some severe sticker shock.

Does anyone know what a normal price range is for catering for about 100 guests? We want a buffet with a combination of vegetarian and non-vegetarian options, and the wedding is sort of mid-range -- not super fancy, but we want it to be classy. Also, it is in the Washington, DC area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Price range for caterers?

The cost will depend on where you live. I live in the Northwest and a catered buffet with one meat entree would be about $20 to $23 per person. If you add a second meat entree, the cost would go up by about $3 per person. If you serve heavy hors d'oeuvres with salad, fruit, etc., you might be able to do it for $18 to $20 per person.

o

also check into the difference between buffet and a "plated" dinner.

People think of buffets as being less money, but I have read event-planners' websites in which they say that, because you have to have so much more food, buffets are actually more expensive.

And, hors d'oeuvres can be more sometimes because most hors d'oeuvres are labor-intensive to prepare.

It's going to be so regional, I think you'll just need to look into 5 or 6 places to see what you can get for what you want to spend.

And ask around among other people in your area. Amazing menus often have amazing price; more plebian caterers might serve perfectly enjoyable food at more plebian prices.

o

There is a trade-off between the costs of a buffet and a plated dinner because a buffet contains more food, but it takes fewer servers. With a plated dinner, the staff is much larger, so you either pay for food or you pay for labor.

Some hors d'oeuvres are labor-intensive but they usually are less expensive than serving portions of meat, particularly if a carving station is involved.

o

I would come up with an amount you want to spend and ask two or three caterers what they could do with that budget. That has always worked well for me. You may be pleasantly surprised if you let THEM come up with the solutions.

I agree about buffets. They don't necessarily save any money. Also, many people (not me) dislike them; they hate waiting in line (in high heels), balancing plates and drinks without spilling on their party clothes, etc. The only things I didn't like when we had a buffet once was that it was harder to control the pace of the evening, and we did run out of one popular item before all the tables were served -- and this was a very experienced caterer, and even she guessed wrong on that item.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here