Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding Gloves

Posted by goldenowner76 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 04 at 11:19

I am wearing gloves with my wedding gown. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to work the gloves, and putting the ring on, etc. Something that will go smoothly and not too noticable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding Gloves

I didn't wear gloves on my wedding day, but if they are short you can just slip your left-hand glove off right before you give your MOH your bouquet - when you hand over the bouquet you may hand the glove to her too. If you want to put the glove back on during the ceremony (after the exchaning of the rings), you could do it quickly right before she hands you your bouquet. Just have her pass you the glove (on the side away from the guests), and put the glove on. Long gloves would be much more difficult to put on and off. I might suggest taking the glove off right before exchaning the rings, but not putting them back on again until after the ceremony - just in case there are problems. Just try the gloves that you plan on wearing with the rings on well before the wedding day.

I have also heard of people going to a seamstress and having the gloves altered (the seamstress cuts a small slit at the base of the underside of the ring finger on the left glove). You can just slip your finger in and out of the glove for exchanging the rings.

o

Did you already get your gloves? Often they have a removable ring finger. Or you can go to a seamstress and have it cut & hemmed.

o

I wore long gauntlets, that way I did not have to remove the glove at all during the ceremony. Most of the gloves that I have seen in the bridal stores, have the ring finger fixed so that it just opens back and that way you do not have to take the glove off during the ceremony.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drew and Sherrie Lynns

o

I do already have the gloves. I bought them at everyone's favorite place "David's Bridal"..just kidding about it being everyone's favorite place. Anyway, the sales girl had mentioned that and then when I went to get my dress fitted the seamstress said that she didn't want to do that, because that would only cost me more money. In other words, she kinda refused. So thats why I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The little things like that seem to worry me more the closer it gets to the wedding date.

o

Since you already have your gloves, just take a little seam ripper and take enough of the stiches out of the top of the ring finger so that it slips back to put your ring on, then you can put it right back in place once the ring is on. Most gloves fit tight enough that the finger on the glove will not slip.

o

I used a seam ripper to open the ring finger of my friends glove...it worked out fine. We didn't have time for me to sew the hem but you couldn't tell anyway. But one thing to keep in mind: after the ceremony people took pictures in front of the church and my friend's one finger is showing in most of the pictures. And while I'm at it don't forget to hold your flowers down low (elbows extended not bent) because if you hold your flowers too high you'll be covering up all the lovely detail on your dress (another mistake my friend made). The poor girl spent over $1000 on her dress and you can't even see all the beadwork on the bodice in her pictures because her flowers are covering it.

o

I think this was explained earlier, but don't know if this is what you were explaining. A friend of mine cut her ring finger of her glove about halfway off (from the bottom) so that the finger was still attached across the top of her hand. She simply slipped her finger out at the time for the rings, and slipped it back on after. When it was off, it simply laid on top of her hand.

o

Thanks everyone..also this has been very helpful..i also got to thinking that we are also doing the family medallion for the ceremony and we got them in the form of a necklace..how would it look if once i walked up the isle to slip the gloves off and hand them to my maid of honor along with my flowers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here