Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bridesmaid dress color dilemma

Posted by carolemontilus (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 1:47

I'm in the stage of figuring out the color scheme, dress colors, flower colors, etc. I'm more traditional and want to keep the colors warm and neutral, so I decided on a romantic & elegant
color scheme of Ivory & Champagne, lace, with accents of black (black tuxes, black lettering on the invitations, etc.). I have dubbed it "Classic Regency Vintage" lol. I'm at a loss of what color to have as my bridesmaids dresses though. I don't like bold colors, and I like to keep things soft and natural. I initially wanted lace dresses, something like this https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=518979148144476&set=a.190174444358283.37392.118051098237285&type=1&theater but found that they are ridiculously hard to find. And we are all from Michigan..... so pretty pale. I am worried that champagne or blush would just wash everyone out, and I want my ladies to feel beautiful and comfortable in their dresses. Any suggestions? My wedding, of course, isn't till 2014 so I won't be doing dress shopping for a long while. I'm just brainstorming color scheme options that will pull together nicely. Here is a general idea of what I'm going for, but less "extravagant"

Here is a link that might be useful: lace dress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bridesmaid dress color dilemma

I think those are pretty! And I think your color scheme sounds lovely and sophisticated. A touch of black around the neckline (maybe a black ribbon choker or something) would help give pale girls some contrast.

I'll give you the same advice I just gave my own daughter, who is also planning a 2014 wedding: don't spend too much time trying to choose in the abstract or from internet pictures. Go shopping. See what looks good ON. Besides, you can't always tell quality or detail from pictures.

Keep the shapes and looks of your real attendants, not 5'10" size 4 models standing on boxes in photos, in mind.

My daughter and I are barely 5'0 and 5'1" respectively. So many styles I think are beautiful for my own dress and that she thinks are beautiful for her dress just wouldn't work on us. It's too bad, but we have to face the fact that so much formal and bridal wear is designed for tall women -- and, no, you can't just shorten them: the look is ruined, because the armholes, darts, necklines, etc. are all in the wrong places, and the details are out of proportion.

I'm just telling you about our situation to illustrate the point. Instead of trying to imagine the perfect bridesmaid dress and then go out and find it and then try to make it work for your attendants, go out and see what's really out there in the stores. Keep your preferences in color, style, etc. in mind, of course, but keep an open mind when you are looking -- you may learn another idea about, say, fabric or neckline, from a dress that's in some totally wrong color or length.

Finally, don't limit yourself to bridal shops. You will find a MUCH bigger selection at dress shops and department stores. The prices are usually lower and the quality often much better, too. Bridesmaids appreciate a dress that doesn't have a bridesmaid look if they hope to wear it again. Not to mention that you don't have to wait months for them. So unless you need a style that has variations for body types or something, start with the regular dress stores. I just looked at ONE site, Nordstrom, and found loads of pretty lace cocktail dresses. Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: lace cocktail dresses at Nordstrom

o

Those dresses don't look extravagant to me. They look like pretty lace dresses.

You could look around and see if there are any places that could do a lace dress with a different color lining. I have a dress that is brown and ecru lace with a pink lining--sounds weird, I know, but I get more compliments on it.

So a blush, or slightly darker lining, with an ivory lace. Or a black dress with ivory lace. Or a silvery grey dress with white lace.

If your bridesmaids wear makeup, it's possible to adjust it to prevent "washout". I'm very fair-skinned, so I know. Or you could pay for all the maids to have their makeup done on the day of the wedding.

I'm not suggesting that you get these actual dresses, but this picture shows the same dress with the same lace and three different color under-dresses, just to illustrate what I mean.

Here's a bridesmaid's dress that lets you choose the color of the lace and the color of the underdress. But I think you'd have to find a physical store to go in and check the colors.

http://www.frenchnovelty.com/p/ALXAngelina/Alexia+Designs+Tea+Length+Bridesmaid+Dress+with+Lace+Overlay+Angelina.html?gclid=COLro8fkxbYCFRCZ4AodczcAkw

Here is a link that might be useful: lace dresses

o

I told my daughter to see what the shops are showing this year before deciding on her colors. She found a pretty icy light green that looked good on all her attendants. She took a bridesmaid with her on several shopping trips to see what they thought and have them all try on the green. It was a hit.

We did not worry about using her colors in her invitations, but we did want to know for the flowers and table decorations.

o

Remember to think how these colors will photograph in your wedding pictures.

o

I had a wedding this past weekend with a similar theme. Her colors were more of a sandy beige, which she called camel, ivory, and deep cranberry. She had 6 bridesmaids, half in cranberry dresses with camel sashes and half in camel dresses with cranberry sashes.

Their bouquets were a combination of deep red and white flowers with greenery. The stems of all the bouquets were wrapped in lace. She used clear jars for centerpieces filled with the same flowers as the bouquets and with lace tied around them.

For the "guest book," she found an old white vintage suitcase and had the guests sign on the outside of it. Strange, I know, but it worked beautifully.

The location was a vintage-Victorian looking building with lots of wood and dark wallpaper and drapes in colors that coordinated with her wedding colors. It was very attractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here