Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help find an unusual dress and we were married 6/10/06 no family

Posted by brittsgrams (deetees@netzero.net) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 19:25

So to please me and the families, my husband has graciously granted an open, in the yard at our house, wear blue jeans if ya want to the ceremony and "party" after on June 9, 2007. Here is my problem - I am very laid back, hate shoes, want to look pretty, from the hippie generation, don't like formal short or long gowns but do want white or ivory for my dress that can have vines with small flowers or something like that (my husband will be in jeans and a Jimmy Buffett T-shirt I know!), it has to be light weight, and just past the knee. My daughter, who is a notary, married us on her front porch that the house we just got done moving her and her daughter into. It was hilarious!! They got my granddaughters tiara and put an old fashioned table doily (sp?) attached to it; picked me a small group of yard flowers; made up the ceremony and vows (which said he had to obey - NOT ME) while we went to get a few drinks! As we sat on the front porch swing with granddaughter in between us blowing her bubbles, we got married. Both of us coming from religious families, we decided to have our marriage performed by a minister. So, where in the heck can I find a wedding dress that is me? HELP!!!! I have been all over the web and just can't seem to find anything. Thanks so much, Britts Grams

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help find an unusual dress and we were married 6/10/06 no fam

You may look at www.threadheadcreations.com
they make dresses of natural material (hemp) and have some pretty styles - limited selection though.
You could always have one tailored (they all look like full length). Being hemp and/or even cotton they should be lightweight and flowy, I'd think.
There are lots of options out there - google, google, google. Even if you just see a picture you could likely have a dressmaker build it for you with your specifications.
Good luck finding what you want and congratulations on your marriage.
Have fun at your ceremony and "party" - that day will never leave your heart.

o

You might want to consider having a dress made for you. Check with a local seamstress. You would be more apt to get what you want and in a style that you like.

o

Also, check the websites of some of the big retailers. I saw one at Nordstrom's that might work, and there are lots more out there. Just search under "casual" and "white" or "off-white".

Here is a link that might be useful: white dress

o

Check out this one and the one linked below. They are both quite affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Newport-News-Brands-Eyelet-peasant/dp/B000NUX39C/ref=pd_sbs_a_5/103-4009223-7391054

They are both from Newport News Brands so if you think they are close to what you want, check their website.

Think about the weather in June when you choose a dress.

Here is a link that might be useful: dress

o

since it will be a very casual party how about a fancy skirt and tank top or blouse? I was actually thinking about this skirt with a plain shell myself. It looks long in pic, but notice its hanging off her hips, and I'd want it longer. if it were at your waist it would be just the length you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocheted skirt

o

abc12345 -very very nice!!! Shall keep that in mind. Thanks so much!! Tami

o

I love the first dress.

o

I know you didn't want a long dress and this one is a bit pricey, but it's amazing. Check it out.

http://www.edressme.com/promdresses3862.html

best of luck, kat.

o

as m/o/g, in august, i found my dress in the swimsuit dept of a retail store...it was a gauzy cover-up...and perfect for the outdoor wedding in mi...

have you thought about white jeans to your dh's blue, or a mexican wedding dress (the traditional cotton with flowers)

o

I just bought this one to wear to our picnic wedding. I was also looking for something dressy but informal. If you zoom in on it, it has very pretty lace detailing around the hem and throat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Taylor Loft Dress

o

Got the dress! I appreciate everyone's input and information they have shared with me. Thanks so much, Tami

o

Can you post a pix of you & your beloved & the DRESS??

Can't resist a love story.. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here