Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding Traditions

Posted by gardengate (ned36078@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Mar 16, 05 at 16:36

My lovely bride-to-be and I have been discussing various wedding traditions. We have heard why the bride is given away. But there are others that we have been wondering about.

Why is it bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding?

Why is it bad luck for the bride to see the wedding rings before the wedding?

And we were also wondering if you guys knew of any other traditions, be they just family traditions, certain religious traditions, or anything else that you would be willing to share with the group.

Our wedding is less than six months away and I just can't wait to make this lovely lady my bride and enjoy the wonderful life together that I know that we will have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding Traditions

Gardengate,

my wedding is a month away. We are incorporating our moms and dads into the reception, the moms will light the unity candles together with the dads. I think this makes it very special for the two families joining together.

We also decided to face the congregation as we say our vows instead of our backs to the congregation. The guests will see our faces as we say our vows to each other.

Thats our little "twist" on things, have you gotten other ideas?

Congratulations!
Anne

o
RE: Wedding Traditions

According to superstition, the groom should never see the bride the eve of their wedding or their marriage will fail. Another story says it dates back to arranged marriages.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue:

Something old refers to wearing something that represents a link with the bride's family and her ancestor's life.
Wearing something new represents good fortune and success in the bride's new life.
Wearing something borrowed, which has already been worn by a happy bride at her wedding, is meant to bring good luck to the marriage.
Wearing something blue dates back to biblical times when the color blue was considered to represent purity and fidelity. Over time this has evolved from wearing blue clothing to wearing a blue band around the bottom of the bride's dress and to modern times where the bride wears a blue or blue trimmed garter.

There are simply hundreds of wedding superstitions we practice and don't even realize it... the ring finger is a superstition, the kiss, bridesmaids and groomsman all dressing alike, actually, every single thing about a traditional wedding is superstitious... all that is truly necessary is going to the courthouse and signing on the dotted line... but it's not near as much fun!

Superstitions are fun to practice before and during the wedding celebrations... as long as you remember they are just superstitions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here