Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Las Vegas Wedding...Reception Question

Posted by moneekc (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 15:23

I am marring my fianc after 17+ years together in Las Vegas (October 2007). There will be 8-10 people including us for this celebration. My future husband and I financially can not afford to have a large reception. So we were thinking about having a party for family and friends in either April or May of 2008, but are not sure how to invite our family and friends. The party is to be geared towards a Las Vegas theme.

HELP....We are really getting STRESSED over this. Need advice as to what we need to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Las Vegas Wedding...Reception Question

Since it doesn't sound like it'll be a formal affair, I'd opt for invitations that aren't really fancy. We just went and picked out our invitations and there are TONS of really nice ones that aren't super formal and are nicely priced as well. A computer generated invitation would probably be appropriate too.

Or maybe send announcements when you get home with a "save the date" card for the party?

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

o

Congratulations to you! How exciting.

You are talking about a party 13-14 months away. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

When you decide on the date, time, and location of your party, just send invitations out the usual few weeks before; don't send out "save the date" cards. Don't call it a wedding reception (six or seven months later is just too much for that, and anyway, you're having a small celebration in Las Vegas, not eloping) or an anniversary party (too early), just "a party" or "a Las Vegas cocktail party" or whatever. I wouldn't even mention the wedding on the invitation. You don't have to announce that the party is in celebration of your marriage, because they all know you got married anyway and will figure it out from the timing and the Las Vegas theme besides. So mentioning the wedding on the invitation might look like a prompt for gifts, as if to say, "We chose to have a destination wedding and not to include you, but we don't want to miss out on getting gifts, so after 17 years we are trying to have it both ways." I'm sure that's not really your purpose, but you don't want to spoil the feeling of your nice, fun party by creating that impression in even one guest. Just give "a" party -- everyone will understand why, and you won't look pushy or greedy.

o

I agree with gellchom. Send out announcements immediately after the wedding, then just have a party for close friends and family later on. An announcement is simply a communication tool to let people know that you got married. That way, everyone close to you can hear the good news quickly without the need to try to have a reception shortly after the wedding.

o

My wife and I were married in Vegas back in March of 2003. We had a send-off shower a few months before. If you are interested, email me at: emillick@mymail.indstate.edu and I can give you some good advice as to what to do. We also had 6 family/friends that came out for the wedding. Look forward to hearing from you.

o

dh and i were married in vegas in 1970..we really didn't bother with a party, although did go back to meet his parents on our "honeymoon...i'd been married before, so didn't see the need for announcements either...

why not have a christmas open house? you can do a buffet of finger foods, have "automatic" decorations with a christmas tree...

o

I'd have an inexpensive party within 3 months of the wedding. or the very next weekend, maybe...

putting it off too long makes it sort of anticlimactic; it would feel weird to me, esp. since you've been together so long. As a guest, I want to celebrate while everything feels fresh.

And I wouldn't worry too much about "theme," either--just have a party: "we got married! come celebrate with us."

(are you waiting until warm weather? or to save up money after the plane tickets to Vegas? either way, I still vote for an earlier party)

Actually, I would send announcements in this situation. An announcement doesn't carry any gift-giving obligation the way a wedding invite does; it just tells people that the event happened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here