Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I do this or not?

Posted by emersonsf (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 10:15

My daughter is getting married and is having an engagement party given by her fiance's parents. My wife and I are not able to go. her mother and I are divorced and she has a stepfather.
Since we cannot go to the engagement party ( we have not met her future in-laws) I suggested that maybe we should send flowers with a nice note. My wife says that it is the grooms parents who have the party and they will probably have flowers already picked out etc. and that we should not send them. What is proper or rather the right thing to do.
Thanks
JP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I do this or not?

I think it would be a wonderful gesture on your part to send flowers. It doesn't matter if the grooms' parents have already ordered flowers for the occassion. You are the father of the Bride. To let your daughter know you are thinking about her and her fiance even though you can not be at the party is so awesome. I'm sure she would appreciate it more than you know. Sorry but your wife is wrong in this cituation. NancyLouise

o

Sometimes people think it's improper to show up for a dinner party with flowers, as the hostess may already have a centerpiece, etc.
But this is different--you're sending your regrets, and a nice plant or flowers is very thoughtful.

o

Send flowers.

o

Are you planning to send the flowers to your daughter or to her in-laws, the hosts of the party? I would send them to your daughter as a way to let her know that you are thinking about her at that time.

o

I think it is a GREAT idea to send flowers to the hosts -- not for the party, just for them. You aren't replacing their centerpieces; you're sending them a gift (they can put your flowers in their bedroom if they want) thanking them for giving the party for your child and for inviting you, and telling them you wish you could be there and are thinking of them. A wonderful gesture. In fact, I think it's such a good idea, if I'm ever in that position, I would do it even if we WERE able to attend.

o

While it is very thoughtful to send flowers, I wonder why you are not going? (Unless you have impending open heart surgery or something.) This is a major event in your daughter's life- she needs all the family support she can get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here