Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Potted Plants

Posted by confused_but_hopeful (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 8:51

Hi everyone.
I'm getting married in October or November of this year. Instead of cut flowers, I'd like to use flowering potted plants as center pieces, to reduce waste. My colors are navy and light blue. I figured for an accent color I can have burgundy/dark pink flowers, and that could expand my flower options. If anyone has any suggestions of types of flowers I could use, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!

ps- I'll post this on the garden forums as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Potted Plants

Depending on where you live, you may find that the primary potted plant available in October is chrysanthimums and they come in burgundy and pink. If you are unable to find flowering plants, I have had brides who used a variety of potted herbs for centerpieces.

o

Asters work as well and some of the purples look blueish.

o

We rented very big ferns and added good quality silk orchid stems. You couldn't tell they were not natural.

o

If you are looking to save $$ and buy what will be available, mums it will be. Asters, while the right color very seldom are sold in pots blooming.
Another possibility might be African violets. They bloom in the colors you mentioned, are inexpensive, low and easy to see over and are and always available.
I would look for a grower now and order what you need in the colors you want, that way you can be sure of having just the colors you want. You shouldn't have to spend more than $4 per plant.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow and pink violets

o

You could also stretch your budget by putting the $4.00 flowering plants in a basket with some moss, color coordinated ribbon, etc. to make the whole thing look bigger. Add a few colored autumn leaves for a seasonal effect. You can press them with a very low temp iron between two pieces of waxed paper to keep them flat and pretty. I went to a fall wedding where the red and gold maple and oak leaves had been preserved and scattered on the tables, between the centerpieces. Beautiful and free.

Also-chrysanthimums do come in yellow and white.

o

Have you considered using a fallish centerpiece, such as mini pumpkins, which come in both white and orange, and mini gourds. You could place them in bowls and surround with fall leaves or use a pillar candle in a hurricane glass and place pumpkins, gourds and leaves around the base.

o

How about traditional Rosemary which generally flowers in shades of blue but there are pink flowers as well. Rosemary can easily be mimicked to bloom that late in the year.

Another that comes to mind is Hydragea. The flowers can change color with soil acidity. Acid soil for blue flowers and alkaline soil the flowers will be pink.

o

One word of warning--I have seen tablecloths covered with ants escaping the potted plant. Be careful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here