Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Satin be Dyed?

Posted by katclaws_mo (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 19:47

Hi All!

Hope everyone's wedding plans are going smoothly. :)

I am looking for a white satin short bolero jacket, but I need to know if satin can be dyed? I am trying to match it to a discontinued celadon colored dress from Michaelangelo.
I am not sure but I think that is a David's Bridal brand??

TIA~~ katclaws

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Satin be Dyed?

They can dye satin shoes so why not jackets??

o

Is the satin washable or must it be drycleaned? If it is washable, I would think that it could be dyed.

o

it's not so much the "satin" as the fiber--acetate, polyester, silk, rayon.

I don't remember offhand which can be dyed and which can't.

You might contact whoever around you dyes shoes, and ask them what the fiber content is of the shoes they dye, and which one would be most successful.

Also, sometimes at David's Bridal, you can buy fabric to match the gowns (I did); even if the gown has been discontinued, maybe the fabric hasn't. Then you can have someone make the jacket for you.

o

Hi there. It depends on the make up of the satin fabric. If it is silk satin, it's easy to dye (use an acid dye). If it's cotton satin, it's also fine to dye so long as there's no more than 10 percent spandex/lycra in it. However, if (like most) it's polyester, I wouldn't bother! There's a type of dye you can use with polyester satin but you have to boil it with the cloth for an hour - which is likely to shrink your jacket. So best to check the label before you buy to see the fabric content (I'd also double check by taking a snip off the hem and dying that - or it may be cheaper to ask a tailor to find a matching fabric and make one up). Or buy a nice contrasting sheer shawl and match that with your shoes and accessories! Lotty

o

there is such a thing as *cotton* satin? I didn't think you could make a successful satin out of cotton.

I know that "satin" refers to the way the fibers are weaved together. But I didn't think anyone would bother making satin out of cotton, bcs you wouldn't get much of a shine (you'd get a rich, smooth finish, but would it really be satin?)

o

Tally....it's called "sateen" and while shiny it's not like rayon satin.
Polyester won't shrink if you boil it for days....but it is likely to wrinkle permenantly.
The most successful satin for dying is rayon....but dying one fabric to match another is nigh on to impossible.
Linda C

o

I actually got a free (never used) wedding dress from a friend and it's white. I really want to dye it Ivory. Is this possible and cost effective?

o

Only if the satin is woven from a fibre that will take dye. See tally sue's and lotty's posts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here