Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invitations for wedding reception months after wedding

Posted by tammie1786 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 08 at 12:53

My daughter was married on the beach in Flordia last November with family and close friends attending.
We are planning a reception at home this summer and are having trouble with the wording of the invitations. Do you have any suggestions?
It will be an outdoor reception
Food will be served
Outdoor games available
Swimming
Music and dancing.
\Thank You
Tammie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invitations for wedding reception months after wedding

Congratulations to you!

For two reasons, I would not call this party a "reception": (1) the party is much too far after the wedding -- closer to the first anniversary -- and (2) although it was a very small wedding, it wasn't an elopement or a City Hall ceremony with no celebration or guests at all.

I would just call it a party in their honor. I would omit any reference to the wedding at all, so as to avoid any appearance of the party being an attempt to get gifts, as if the couple wanted an exotic private wedding at the time, but now feel they missed out on gifts. Of course, people who didn't already send a wedding gift probably will bring them one anyway, but you don't want it to look like you are prompting them. Everyone you are inviting will understand that the party is in honor of their marriage, because you will only (I assume) be inviting people who are close enough that they know that the couple were recently married, and that's why you are doing it.

You wrote "food will be served," but I don't know if that means a casual barbecue in your yard, a picnic lunch at the park, a tea dance at a country club, a brunch, snacks, or what. The games make it sound casual, but you also mentioned music and dancing. Once you decide on your plans, that of course will affect the text of your invitation.

If it will be a casual evening barbecue in your yard, for example, you might word the invitation like this:

Please join us for a cookout, dancing, and swimming
in honor of
[couple's names, including last name(s)]

Sunday, June 34th
5:00 p.m.

at our home
123 Sesame Street

R.s.v.p. 555-5555 [or email@email.com, or omit if you are including a response card or trust your friends to respond without prompting!]

Or, you could leave out "and swimming" and add "Bring your bathing suits for a swim" at the end, depending on what you want to emphasize as the tone of your party. It's not necessary to mention that games will be available.

I don't think you need to specify attire, unless you want it black tie, which doesn't sound likely. If you feel you must, IMHO it is better to stick to "casual" or "dressy" or something rather than anything confusing like "festive attire." But I don't think you need to say anything: the style, color, and font of the invitation will get the message to your guests. (We went to 3 weddings this month. One invitation said "black tie optional," one said "cocktail attire," and one said nothing, but it was a rather formal looking invitation to a Saturday night wedding with dinner and dancing. The guests' attire was the same at all three of them! Well, no tuxedos at the last two, but the women at all of them wore dressy evening outfits, some long, some short, some pants.)

Have fun.

o
RE: Invitations for wedding reception months after wedding

It is A reception. Anytime you gather people together to honor someone for something, it's a reception.

It is not THE reception, nor is it a WEDDING reception. But it is A reception.

And the etiquette books say that when a reception is given on honor of a recently married couple (the classic is a reception in the groom's hometown for friends who couldn't travel to the wedding in the bride's hometown), no mention of the marriage is made, just the couple's names, as Gellchom mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here