Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding in one state/Reception in another

Posted by jewels322 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 17:22

My fiancee and I live in Michigan which is where he and his family is from. I am from Florida. We are going to have a small wedding with dinner in Florida (where my family is) then 3 weeks later have a marriage celebration/reception back home in Michigan. Everyone we are going to invite is welcome to come to the wedding, dinner or the reception weeks later but I am not sure how to word the invitation and/or the RSVP card so I know who is going to what. I already know some our friends in MI and some of his fammily will be going to Florida and I know some of my family is going to be coming up to MI for the reception but how do I word it so I know who is going to be going to what? Thank you for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding in one state/Reception in another

If your concern is for how you will know who is coming to what, the solution to that is to include a response card with separate yes/no lines for each event.

For the invitation, you could both on one invitation, but I would do them on separate cards. Make sure that the dates are prominent on both so that your guests will notice that the events are in different times and places.

I assume you mean that everyone is invited to both Florida and Michigan? You used the word "or," though, so I can't tell for sure. If you only want them to come to one or the other, then you need to decide who you want at which one and only invite them to that; I can't really think of a polite way to invite them to both but to tell them they can only choose one.

I would also avoid confusing terms like "marriage celebration/reception" or "marriage celebration." Three weeks later is close enough that you can call it a "reception." People know what that means.

o

Thank you!
Yes, I meant everyone who we invite will be invited to both Florida for the wedding/dinner and to the reception in Michigan.
I did not think of putting seperate lines on the response card.
Just to clarify, so I understand , when you say "For the invitation, you could both on one invitation, but I would do them on separate cards. Make sure that the dates are prominent on both so that your guests will notice that the events are in different times and places." are you saying to mail 2 seperate invitaions or to mail 1 enevelope with 2 different cards in it (1 for each event)? Again, thank you so much for your help.

o

I would put both cards in one envelope. If you don't care if it's not too formal, you could put it all on one card. The most important thing is CLARITY. This could get confusing, so that's why I suggested two cards.

o

Just make them mention the name of Mi or Florida.. it's simple... specify this in the RSVP!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here