Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amout of wine to buy for reception

Posted by judy75 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 09 at 17:09

we are having approx 150 adult guest we will be serving beer and wine (chard, white zin, & merlot) the time is from 5pm to 11pm how many bottles of wine should we buy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amout of wine to buy for reception

I am a wedding planner. The bar catering service that I use figures that, depending on the average age of the guests, about a third will have only one or two drinks of wine, about a third won't drink at all (too young or don't drink), and the remaining third will have 5 or 6 drinks of wine. A bottle of wine hold about 6 servings.

Beer drinking seems to depend on the age of the group. The younger they are, the more beer they drink and they can drink a lot.

You can plan on everyone having a first drink of some type, whether punch, wine, or beer. Some guests will leave fairly early, probably by 8 or 8:30, so they will drink less, possibly only one or two drinks per person. Family and close friends of the couple will stay till the end and their friends are the ones who will drink the most during that later time.

o

Depends on the group.

Many of the people DH and I know and socialize with do not drink beer at all.

At my daughter's wedding, red wine flew off the shelves. Not a lot of her people liked white wine...

When I got married, my guests went through 31 bottles of vodka.... scary!

o

Buy extra and be sure that the store you purchase your beverages will take back anything you haven't opened.

o

A small bottle of wine will yield 5 glasses of wine. A large bottle will serve 10. Calculate one glass of wine, or bottle of beer per person per hour of the reception. So in your case, 5-6 glasses of wine per person for those that drink wine. That's one small bottle of wine per person. A 6 pack of beer for those that drink beer.

The above is just a rough estimate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here