Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Gift basket ideas

Posted by
Kathy
(kmfrank1@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Dec 11, 01 at 22:46

Hi ladies,

I want to put together a gift basket for my vegetarian son. I was hoping you might be able to give me some suggestions. I tried to buy a gift certificate over the phone from the local organic grocer (Earth Fare) near him but they were not able to help me. There is a Wild Oats Grocery store near me but they are not afilliated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Vegan Store

The Vegan Store sells gift baskets and has other holiday ideas. http://www.veganstore.com. If you don't want to use mail order, you can at least get ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegan Store

o
RE: LOOKING for: Gift basket ideas

Jim,

Thank you so much. The site did give me some good ideas for my gift basket. I appreciate the help.

Kathy

o

But if you build your own basket, try some of these things:

Gourmet Nuts (Macadamia, Pine Nuts for cooking)
Spices
Jars of pickled garlic, pickled asparagus
Jar of minced garlic
Specialty grains -- QFC has some of these in small packages
Jars of jam, soy butter, etc.
Teas, coffees
Good olive oil
Fancy crackers -- my favorite is Rye Crisp
Kitchen gadgets -- does he have his own tortilla press??
Pasta and sauces
Wine or sparkling cider
A donation to environmental or animal organization
Vegetarian or vegan cookbook
Glycerin soaps
Candles
Music CD to enjoy with dinner or bath
Subscription to vegetarian cooking magazine
Subscription to PETA or other organization magazine
Coupon for his favorite vegetarian meal at your place
Gourmet popcorn

Those were just some ideas for themes for a Vegetarian basket like:

Movie Night
Bath Time
Gourmet Pasta
Environmental/Animal Protection
Chef's Delight
Sunday Morning Brunch

Making baskets is one of my favorite holiday presents. This year I made Italian Pasta baskets for a couple of dear folks on my list -- cookbook, pine nuts, pesto sauce, pasta, wine, marinated mushrooms, all kinds of yummy things in a huge basket. (Michael's was carrying straw laundry baskets this year for $4 -- they are perfect for creating a generous holiday gift basket!)

o

Sun dried tomatoes--either dried or in the glass jar. I often substitute these in recipes that call for Italian ham, nova lox, etc. for both color and flavor. Reconstitute the dried variety with boiling water, "squeeze" dry and add to dishes and dips and spreads-- pasta dishes with good olive oil are a favorite as well as spreads to crackers. Experiment and enjoy!
Bon appetite! Laura and Family

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here