Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Vegan Muffins and Vegan Quick Breads

Posted by Lola_Lola (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 22:22

I'm looking for some vegan muffin and quick bread recipes. Good, hearty stuff that is not too difficult to make. I'm kind of lazy, so the easier the better. But sometimes I like to play in the kitchen, so would love to see the trickier recipes, too. Please share your favorite recipes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vegan Muffins and Vegan Quick Breads

Orange-Almond Scones
(from and old "Vegetarian Times" issue)

2 cups flour (unbleached and/or whole wheat or a mix)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup oil or margarine (I use margarine)
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup (I always use maple)
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
grated zest of 1 orange
1/2-3/4 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 tsp. almond extract, (optional)
1/2 to 1/3 cup soymilk (I used 1/3)

Toppping: 2 TBLSP frozen orange juice, 2 TBLSP honey, 1/3 cup sliced almonds

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ones. Allow to sit 10 minutes. Form dough into 6 circles or triangles about 1/2 inch thick. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet, add topping if desired. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Note: these are a lot like drop biscuits, just a little more shaped. I think the variation in the banana quantity depends on the size of the banana.

o
Correction

That should read "whole wheat PASTRY flour."

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vegan Muffins and Vegan Quick Breads

Pumpkin Muffins

1-3/4 c. rye flour (almost any flour, or combination you like)
2 t. baking powder
1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cloves
dash salt
1/2 c. raisins or currants
1/3 c. apple juice, or other fruit juice, or milk substitute
2 T. coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
2-4 T. agave nectar (a honey-like sweetener from catcus)
Egg substitute equal to one egg, or you can also leave out
1 c. pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a muffin tin with vegetable oil, or use cupcake papers to line the muffin tin. Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in raisins. Combine juice, oil, and agave nectar in a 2-cup nonmetal measuring cup or small bowl. Heat liquid ingredients briefly (20 seconds) in the microwave to soften the honey. Add egg substitute and pumpkin puree to liquid ingredients. Mix well. Add liquid ingredients fo dry ingredients and mix briefly.

Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and bake 20 minutes. Immediately after removing from oven, loosen muffins with a fork, and turn them sideways in the cups to cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here