Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Vegetarian Leftovers -- Freezer to Lunch Table

Posted by Lola_Lola (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 21:54

For cheap and healthy lunches, I like to take leftovers. Do you have any favorite vegetarian recipes whose leftovers freeze well. To save time, I love to cook extra and freeze lunch-size leftovers. I get a little tired of pasta dishes (but would certainly be interested if you have something spectacular!) I like to steam a big load of broccoli and freeze a little pasta (or whatever) and a lot of broccoli together. I haven't tried cauliflower yet -- I'm sure that would freeze well, too. Any other veggie ideas that could be frozen alongside the "main dish"? Would love to hear ALL ideas along these lines and more!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Vegetarian Leftovers -- Freezer to Lunch Table

Lola:

One of my absolute favorites is chili. Unfortunately, I don't have an actual recipe, but here's the general idea of what I do:

1 bag Morningstar Farms crumbles
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes w/ jalepenos (or green chiles)
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
Cumin, chili powder, hot sauce.

I cook it until it's heated through. Makes a HUGE batch of chili, which freezes wonderfully. You can add whatever veggies you want as well. I like it without though, really basic, really good :)

o

Vegetarian egg rolls freeze well. Make them, fry them, freeze them, & when you are too tired to cook eat them.

Stuffed cabbage is another. Here is a link to others recipes:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vegex/msg072030576364.html

If you want an easy dish, the Arabic markets often sell canned stuffed grape leaves the ingredients are similar. They are stuffed with eggplant or rice.

Another dish that is time consuming to make but freezes well is pierogie. There is a cheese filled or sauerkraut filled one that freezes well.

http://www.piasecki.org/pierogi.htm

Heres one for vegiburger taquitoes.

http://www.recipesource.com/special-diets/vegetarian/vegeburger-taquitos1.html

Here are some for enchiladas, which freeze well.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=enchilada&forum=vegex&forum_name=Vegetarian+Recipe+Exchange

Mushroom tarts freeze well. Another possibility is fruit soup.

Guacamole freezes well if you add something to prevent discoloration.

Sometimes I eat yogurt with fruit for lunch. You can buy a can of frozen strawberries or your favorite fruit & mix it with a good plain yogurt. The best yogurt I have found even better than home made is at Arabic markets. It is so thick it is like cream, & tastes better than the brand name flavored yogurt.

o

I make roasted vegetables a lot, often with marinated tofu added. That freezes well. My recipe is to dice up whatever roastable veggies I have left in the fridge on Sundays, my favorites are yukon gold or red potatoes, those weird baby carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, red onions, although yellow will do fine, as will shallots, celery, parsnips, turnips and rutabagas. I like all these selctions because they all roast in about the same time. You can also go the mediterranean route--eggplant, zuchinni, asparagus, leeks, peppers, fennel. But those are not my favorites roasted, I like the roots and squashes, they get sweet. I lightly coat them with a mix of olive oil, veggie broth, soy sauce and a dash of balsamic vinegar or red wine. Sprinkle with minced garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Roast at 375 or 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. I roast at a lower temperature because I tend to get distracted and routinely overcook/burn. You need to check them about every 15 minutes and stir to redistribute the seasonings. Yummy the first day, and yummy as a leftover. I add tofu when the mood strikes me. You can also stir in veggie crumbles at the end for a kind of stew I guess. Those darn things are so expensive I use them judiciously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here