Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lola_gw

LOOKING for: okra, okra, okra! how i love okra!

Lola
22 years ago

I love okra! I love it fried (I can eat this like popcorn)! I love it in my POT Soup (POT is Potato/Okra/Tomato). I love OKRA!!! My mom is from Arkansas and she got me hooked on this stuff when I was just a toddler. How wicked of her. Do you have any recipes to share?!? I can post my POT soup recipe if anyone is interested -- just let me know.

Comments (8)

• tygerr_canada_com
    22 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh please post any recipes you have that use the stuff; I see it in the grocery store all the time but haven't really tried it. I would LOVE to have some recipes that are tried-and-true.

AmyT

• Judith
    22 years ago

I love Okra too. I love it all ways. If being cooked as a vegetable by itself with a meal, it is best to steam it. One of my favorites is okra and tomatoes. I guess everybody probably knows how to make it but this is how I make it. I boil whole okra and one or two small sliced onions. When they are soft, I drain the water and add a can of stewed tomatoes and heat enough for the tomatoes to get hot. I love it this way and there was a time when I had such a craving for it that I had to have it every day for a couple of weeks. Okra is one of my all time favorite vegetables. Judith

• rainbarrel55_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

Can't beat okra sliced, fresh tomatoes chunked, slice/chop onion, saute in small amount olive oil, add pepper. Cook until done and if too much liquid sprinkle small amount flour over an stir well.

Marie

• mamsy
    22 years ago

Wash okra, leave whole, then pour on some Italian dressing -let soak a few minutes and then grill okra for about 15 or so minutes (depends on heat of grill). Basically just brown it until it is tender. This is easy and it tastes great!!!

• femail
    22 years ago

How to freeze Okra

Start with freshly picked okra. Wash, cut the stems off, being careful not to cut into seed chamber, otherwise the seeds may spill out. Blanch by putting into rapidly boiling water for about 3 minutes. Remove and cool immediately by placing under cool running water. Pat dry, optionally make a cut lengthwise, pack in plastic bags, seal tightly and place in the freezer. Should keep well upto a year.
    Okra Casserole

Take a medium size casserole dish, spray with pam spray. Layer a layer of fresh or frozen okra, add in order, layer of chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, can of relleno tomatoes with green chilies, cheddar chesse, layer of okra, layer of onion, layer of green pepper, can of stewed tomatoes, monterey jack grated cheese, stuff 4 slices of bacon around edges of dish to season, salt and pepper.
    Preheat oven to 375 degs. (F). Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the pepper and onion are tender.

Only make one layer if you have a small family. The two layers work fine for a larger dish to take to family and church gatherings. You can make this hotter by adding a little tobasco. It is delicious.

Orka Gumbo

1/3 cup oil
    6 cups fresh or frozen okra, sliced in 1/2" slices
    2 onions diced
    2 medium bell peppers, diced
    1 cup celery, diced
    4 cloves garlic, minced fine
    2 fresh tomatoes, diced large
    1/4 cup flour
    2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken
    5 Hot links diced
    1 tsp. chicken-style seasoning
    6 cups water
    Dash of blackpepper, paprika, chili powder, and salt (to taste)

Sautfresh okra in oil, stirring frequently. If you use frozen okra place in pan without oil and let cook for approximately 5 minutes and remove any access water and then add oil and sauté until okra is not rubbery. In separate skillet, bake 1 1/2 cups of chicken (spiced as you like--paprika, salt, chili powder, and pepper); After chicken is fully cooked slice in 1/4" chunks. In stockpot: Add onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; sauté for about 8-10 minutes. Add 2 cups water, tomatoes, and chicken chunks. Let cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add tomato sauce, links, okra, seasoning and an additional 4 cups of water. Let simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes.

Yield: 8-10 servings.

Fried Okra
    2-1/2 cups sliced fresh okra
    1 cup white corn meal
    3 tbsp flour
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup bacon fat

Wash okra whole, then slice.
    Mix cornmeal and flour together. Add okra and toss together until okra is well coated.
    Heat bacon fat in heavy skillet. Add okra pieces and fry until tender.
    Season with salt and pepper.
    Fresh Okra Succotash
    1 quart okra, washed and sliced
    1 cup young lima beans
    1 cup fresh corn kernels
    3 large tomatoes
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Peel and seed tomatoes; cut into small pieces and place in a large, non-reactive sauce pan, stock pot or Dutch oven. Add sliced okra, salt and pepper. Cover the pot and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add lima beans; simmer for another 15 minutes, then add the corn. Cook 20 minutes longer; add butter and stir. Serve as a side dish.
    Serves 4 to 6.
    Adapted from Mrs. Rorer's New Cook Book (1902)

• Carolyn1103
    21 years ago

To fry without losing the cornmeal crust: Can use fresh or thawed frozen, patted dry. Cut off tips, slice into about 1/3" pieces, toss in an eggwhite that has been beaten until foamy, toss with seasoned (S&P) cornmeal, panfry in hot oil (quarter inch of oilover the bottom of the skillet is plenty & don't crowd the pan), drain on paper towels. You can also take it up to the fry step and then freeze. Spread it out over a cookie sheet until frozen to keep pieces separate.
    Also check the epicurious recipe forum. There is a great okra, potato, tomato salad. Tasty and colorful. I accidently increased the honey and red wine vinegar in the dressing by about half and liked it better. I used those cocktail tomatoes in the mesh bag cut in half and gently squeezed to remove seeds.

• gilar
    21 years ago

I also love okra. My mom used to roll it in spices and fry it. Here's an approximation of her recipe.

2 cups of fresh okra cut into 1/4" circles washed and dried
    salt
    1/4 tsp Turmeric(yellow spice in curry)
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    pinch of ground ginger
    pinch of garlic powder

1 cup of oil for frying,

Mix the salt and spices, roll the okra to coat well. Heat oil and fry.

I could eat the whole thing in one sitting with some hot steamed white rice.

Gila

• MariaG
    21 years ago

Gila, you could take the above mentioned spice mix, (maybe add a little cumin powder too) and stuff it into whole okra. Slit the okra along one side, leaving 1/4th inch at either end, stuff the spice in and close the opening, just pinch the slit in the okra for a few seconds with your hands, the stuffing wont spill out after that. The stuffing part takes a little time though, initially. Fry the okra and after they are done, sprinkle some lemon juice, delicious that way too!