Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudia_gw

LOOKING for: Need Receipe for Olive Garden's Minestrone soup

Claudia
22 years ago

does anyone have the recipe for olive gardens minestrone soup???

Email angelbaby@thebarclays.com

thank you :0)

Comments (5)

• tygerr_canada_com
    22 years ago

Here's a copycat recipe from kitchenlink.com;

OLIVE GARDENS' MINESTRNOE SOUP
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup finely minced celery
    1 cup finely minced onion
    1 cup finely minced carrot
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup garbanzo beans
    1/2 cup kidney beans
    1/2 cup whole dried peas
    1/2 cup white pea beans
    3/4 cup sliced carrots
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
    3/4 cup sliced celery
    3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
    1/2 cup rice or barley
    1 cup shell macaroni
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon basil
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    Pepper to taste
    Parmesan cheese

Slowly saute finely minced onion, celery and carrot in butter until very brown. Add peas and beans and about 3 quarts of water. Cook slowly until beans are almost done (check garbanzos - they will take the longest) about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Add the remaining vegetables, rice and spices and more water if necessary and cook another hour. About 20 minutes before serving time add the macaroni and more water if needed. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty garlic bread.

AmyT

Here is a link that might be useful: Olive Garden Minestrone Soup

• TinaM_FL
    22 years ago

I have to disagree with the recipe for Olive Garden's Minestrone soup. I worked for the OG as a General Manager for 11 years and this is NOT the correct recipe (not even close). Many of these "copycat" recipes are false. It does not have butter, garbanzo beans, dried peas, white pea beans, bell peppers, rice or barley, macaroni, soy sauce, and/or parmesan cheese. Unfortunately I can not give out the correct recipe but I did not want you to be disappointed when you made this one expecting it to taste like the OG version. (No offense whatsoever to Amy)
    Tina

• six04730
    17 years ago

Thank you Tina. I've been searching and kept thinking I was nuts because the OG (closest to me - which is 120 miles away, grrr) did not have those ingredients either. As it is probably produced in huge quantities at the restaurant, I know I don't have the right amounts, but after searching, angel, I think I found one that is as close as I'm ever going to get. Not sure if this will help or not but here is the one that is closest to what I get at the OG nearest me:

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup minced white onions (about 1 small onion)
    1/2 cup chopped zucchini
    1/2 cup frozen cut italian green beans
    1/4 cup minced celery (about 1/2 stalk)
    4 teaspoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
    4 cups vegetable broth (Swanson is good *note: Do not use chicken broth!*)
    2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
    2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans or great northern beans, drained
    1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup carrots, julienned or shredded
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    3 cups hot water
    4 cups fresh baby spinach
    1/2 cup small shell pasta
    add a little red wine to the stock

Heat three tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans, and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent. Add vegetable broth (and wine?) to pot, plus drained tomatoes, beans, carrot, hot water, and spices. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add spinach leaves and pasta and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until desired consistency. Makes about eight 1 1/2 cup servings.

I am not sure about the wine, but if it IS in there, it would explain my later trips to the ladies room. I've also seen some that call for tomato paste and tomato sauce and saw mushrooms mentioned once in building the tomato base but I know I've not seen any mushrooms in any soup I've been served. I'll try to find the site again to give proper credit where it is due and post it here for you.

Angel, if you have found THE recipe, would you consider forwarding it to me?? vigray@email.com

• jdill7
    16 years ago

I just have to chime in here. I am eating the OG soup right now, and there is chopped cabbage in there. Also, the spinach is chopped and not very much of it. The veggies are slightly crunchy. Tomatoes are too big for my liking. I would get chopped canned tomatoes. It is served with a packet of Parm cheese, so I add that when eating. jdill

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor