Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Vegetable Pot Pie.

Posted by CRieger (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 02 at 20:17

I am looking for a recipe for a Vegetable Pot Pie that tastes like the chicken type. Probably made with tofu. Please, none with canned vegetables and frozen dough.

Many Thanks,

CRieger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vegetable Pot Pie.

Tofu Pot Pie

Crust: Make a pie crust for 9" pie. Pre-bake 15" @ 400
Filling: 1 lb. tofu
2 carrots,cubed
2 potatoes,cubed
1 cup peas
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
salt & pepper to taste
Gravy: 3 tbs butter(or oil)
5 tbs flour
3-4 cups vegetable stock
Garlic powder to taste
dash of sesame oil
chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp basil

Marinate tofu in 1/4-1/2 cup of tamari(or soy sauce). Fry in oil.(Save marinade to add to filling.)
Make gravy: Melt butter or oil. Add flour to make roux. Add stock and cook til thickened. Add seasonings and parsley.
Steam carrots, potatoes and peas. Add to tofu & water chestnuts.Add reserved marinade. Stir gravy into and pour into pie shell.
Cook @ 400 until hot--approx. 30".

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vegetable Pot Pie.

When making any faux chicken casserole dish, I think it's the stock that's the secret to getting a chickeny flavor. My personal favorite is:

GREEN BROTH - Laurel's Kitchen by Laurel Robertson
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup green split peas
2 T oil

2 qts hot water
1 large carrot, cut up
1 celery stalk, cut up
l potato, cut up
celery leaves

Saute onion, whole garlic clove, bay leaf and split peas in oil until delicately brown. (Careful. Once the peas start to color they can burn fast.) Add water and veggies. Cover and simmer at least 30 min, longer if possible. Strain for a clear broth. Reserve the cooked carrots, celery and potato for other uses. Discard the rest. Salt to taste.

(I add lots of salt in an effort to make it taste like the Campbell's Chicken Rice Soup of my childhood. :>)

Once you've got a good base you can add whatever chopped veggies you want (the ones from the broth are handy) along with tofu or TVP or (my personal choice) Veat. Thicken with a paste of cornstarch and water. Pour into a casserole dish and top with the crust of your choice.

I serve this with whole berry cranberry sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here