Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teri_gw

LOOKING for: Veggie broth base

Teri
23 years ago

What is everyone's favorite brand of veggie broth to use as a soup or stew base? I generally use Knorr cubes because they're readily available in most large supermarkets. But, to be honest, I think the flavor is only OK. Are there others that you think have knock out flavor and might be worth making a special effort to get?

Comments (6)

• Carole
    23 years ago

I don't buy the cubes or store bought broths. I have a very simple recipe and I make my own and then freeze it. If you have any interest in the recipe I would be more than happy to post it for you. :-)

• ole
    23 years ago

we're interested, yes, post it.

• Gardener
    23 years ago

I agree with the "home-made" is best idea, but I always keep several cans of Swanson's in the pantry. It has good flavor.

• Carole
    23 years ago

Here's the recipe that I use:

You can certainly vary the amounts of veggies to your preference, this is the version that I like best. Some people like to add bell pepper, fennel, spinach or tomatoes to make a more Mediterranean stock, but I prefer a lighter based broth using the ingredients below. Start with this recipe and add to it to make it your own! Enjoy!

In a large stockpot, to 16 cups of water, add:

1 medium turnip, chopped
    3 carrots, chopped
    1/2 to 1 cup onion, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    6-8 whole peppercorns
    4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half or chopped

Add any herbs you like, these are what I use:

1 bay leaf - opt
    4 small sprigs of thyme
    1/2 cup fresh parsley

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 1 hour. Cool stock. When cool, strain, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible from the vegetables.

Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months. I usually freeze the broth in pint or 1 1/2 pint sized jars for easy use.

*I love this broth used in Risotto! :-)

• foxglove
    23 years ago

Try this. It really adds punch to sauces, gravies, risottos, and soups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarain Stock from Daniel Boulud Cookbook

• Teri
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Here's one from Laurel's Kitchen that I used for years.
    Start with about 1/3 cup of split peas. Saute in a little oil along with some garlic and a bay leaf. Stop before they begin to turn color. Careful! They burn easily. Add water and whatever veggies you like. Simmer until flavorful.

My problem is that, a few years ago, I pretty much gave up "from scratch" cooking. I've paid my dues at the stove and, these days, I look for fast and easy. So I'm looking for canned, cubed, or otherwise prepared broth.