Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: 'Vegetarian' Cookbook from the 70's

Posted by blondyblonde (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 07 at 12:42

Hi all, I am trying to remember the name of and find an old paperback (large) "vegetarian" cookbook that was published in the early 70's. It was all brown like recycled paper, and contained some very good recipes like ceamy broccoli soup (with pinch of cloves), some italian, and a very good baked white fish recipe with tomatoes I think (yes, some would not consider vegan). It had Epicurean in the title. Thanks for any of you "oldsters" out there who may have held on to it! Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks! Blondy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: 'Vegetarian' Cookbook from the 70's

Was it The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas?

o

It sounds like the vegetarian epicure but I looked and there is no cream of broccoli soup nor is there a fish dish. I hope you find it...

o

The first Moosewood Cookbook was large, had a beige cover. It may have had fish recipes in it, since the subsequent ones do. I don't have that book but have been with friends who cooked from it. Mollie Katzen was the editor.

o

Laurel's Kitchen was brown but of course didn't have Epicurean in the title. I don't think it had any fish recipes in it though.

o

Fish not only isn't vegan, it also isn't vegetarian, but for some reason some people think it is (NO clue why -- it's meat -- and certainly doesn't fit the definition of vegetarian). And for some reason some "vegetarian" cookbooks of the 70's included fish recipes. I have one called "The Whole Wheat Heart of Yasha Aginsky" that sounds a lot like what you describe but of course the word "Epicurean" isn't in the title. It does, however, have a fish recipe or two in it. I don't have it with me or I'd check for the other recipes, but I do still make some of the dishes in it. As mentioned, "The Vegetarian Epicure" is from that time period and looks like what you describe but no fish recipes. If nothing else turns up, put in a request at a local used bookstore or contact some place like Powells Bookstore in Portland, OR (powells.com, but talking to a person might be more helpful) to see if they can help you. Also, although I know what it's like to want to track down an old book (I do it myself), there are tons of other good vegetarian cookbooks that may provide recipes you love just as much. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here