Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Vegan latkes

Posted by
Gardener
(gardener@sunflower.net) on
Sun, Dec 17, 00 at 9:14

We're trying to make latkes without egg. We need a way to bind the grated zucchini and potato while frying. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vegan latkes

I have made them without egg with very little trouble, adding only a small amount of flour to soak up the pototo liquid and hold them together slightly while cooking. I have also thought of adding a small amount of pureed tofu in place of the egg, but have yet to try it.

o

Thanks, Carole. We'll give your ideas a try.

o

That's like trying to make milkshakes without milk. That's one of the reasons we have eggs, use them!!!

o

Nonsense! I've seen recipes using only flour.Try adding a bit of cornstarch or arrowroot as a binder, if they're too loose.

You'll find the results w/o egg lighter & more delicate.Easier to digest too.

o

Eugene, some vegetarians don't eat eggs, and some non vegetarians can't eat them, that's why we have alternatives. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here