Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Need Recipe for Veggie Burgers

Posted by
Vicki
(Stern28@home.com) on
Mon, Dec 18, 00 at 0:14

Does anyone have a recipe for a "Veggie Burger" without beans or do you know what I can substitute the beans with?

Thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Need Recipe for Veggie Burgers

I think you could use a patty of mashed potatoes with some other veggies(peas,carrots etc) and then fried.Then proceed as usual.

o

Vicki, I've tried a million of them (and I have a good black bean recipe that I've developed if you want it) but the best non-bean veggie burgers I've made with TVP. If you're not familiar with TVP (textured vegetable protein) you can find it at Whole Foods if you are near one or I've ordered it online. I can't think of the online store I've ordered from but I've heard good things about Dixie Diner

You can find recipes on fatfree.com but I usually just use with my old meat-based recipes. The only difference is that you have to re-constitute TVP with boiling water and I usually add a cube or two of veggie bullion for flavor. I'm sure this is way more info than you wanted, but if you have any questions feel free to email me directly.

o

Susan, could you post your black bean burger recipe? Thanks!

o

Quick and easy - TVP (makes just three)
Bullion cube
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 cup BOILING water
1 cup of TVP
1 small diced onion
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1Tlb of soy sauce
1 tlb of tomato paste for color
Combine, knead and use like like raw hamburger

Lots of work, but delicious - Millet Burgers
http://www.culinary.com/foodtext/veganand/1183.shtml

o

Vicki - My favorite burger is Fantastic's dry mix Nature Burger. It's grain based. Very, very tasty if fried crisp in some oil. Crisp is the secret! I like it on a Kaiser roll with lots of salt and pepper, lettuce, mayo, and b&b pickles.

Used as a main dish, it's also good smothered in stewed tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here