Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniek_gw

LOOKING for: a quick and easy vegetable casserole/dish

bonniek
23 years ago

my hubby is having a pot luck at his work next week, and he has to bring a roaster full of some kind of vegetables/hot dish.. any ideas???

something quick and inexpensive???

bonniek

Comments (3)

• jaka
    23 years ago

You can double or triple this

Title: Hearty Brown Stew
    Categories: Main dish, Mcdougall, Vegetarian, Crockpot, Ok
    Yield: 6 servings

2 x Onions, sliced
    2 x Celery, sliced
    2 x Carrots, sliced
    2 x Potatoes, chunked
    1/2 c Mushrooms,quartered
    3 x Garlic cloves, crushed
    2 c Water
    1/4 c Soy sauce
    1/4 c Apple juice
    1/2 ts Ginger, grated
    1/2 ts Marjoram
    1/2 ts Thyme
    3 tb Corn starch

Combine all ingredients, except the cornstarch, in a large pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer about 1 1/2 hours until vegetables are tender. Mix the cornstarch in 1/2 cup water. Slowly add to stew. Stir until thickened.

Helpful hints: This can also be made ina slow cooker. Follow above directions. Cook on high 6 hours or on low for 12. Add the cornstarch mixture just before serving and stir until thickened.

From The Mcdougall Plan

• Carol Ann
    23 years ago

Bonnie -

This is vegies and pasta so I don't know if it'll fit for you or not. It's been really popular every time I've made it. Sorry I don't have amounts of ingredients - it's one of those recipes that has a lot of room for flexibility.

Pasta: 1 oz./person - use rotini or penne or small shells or other small pasta.

Cook and drain.

Vegies: My favorites are broccoli and carrots, cauliflower; mushrooms and peas are good - whatever you like. Spinach is good too... summer squash... you get the idea!

Cook slightly (I use the microwave and just steam them a bit)

Toss pasta and vegies in bowl with grated cheese of choice - swiss is excellant with this; just use enough to give it a hint of flavor.

Put into greased casserole and bake, covered, 350, for about 20 minutes or to heat and melt cheese.

I know this is boring, but I also like to cook small red potatoes (whole, if small enough) until tender - toss with a bit of butter, some lemon juice and some chives and other herbs and pop into a casserole and cover. Can be reheated slightly but also good at room temp.

Bon appetit!

• Jos
    23 years ago

This is a favorite at our house.

Italian Veggie Bake

2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
    3 Tablespoons of Basalmic Vinegar
    2 Tablespoons of Italian Seasonings

Wisk in a small bowl and set aside.

1 medium zucchini
    1 red onion
    1 red pepper
    1 green pepper
    1 orange pepper
    1 yellow pepper
    1 small eggplant
    2 packages of mushrooms

Coarsley chop all the veggies and toss with oil, vinegar, and seasonings. Cover and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.