Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom

Posted by
Sara
(Sara11@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Nov 8, 00 at 18:42

Share you favorite recipe with these buggers.

I would love a good marinade to put on them.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom

I just use a vinaigrette salad dressing, then grill them.
Linda C

o

I LOVE portabella mushrooms -

I also marinate, put in aluminum foil and bake or grill.

Also, for the baby bellas, I make stuffed mushrooms -

cut off the stem and chop up
chop up onions and garlic and saute until soft
add stems and other veggies sliced fine (green and
red peppers, celery, little bit of carrots, etc.)
cook until soft
add a little bit of bread crumbs
stuff mushroom heads and then bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.
yum!

o

Thanks. Those sound great. I am going to try stuffing them. YUM!

o

What is a good marinade for them? I've used a mixture of olive oil, worcestershire, balsamic vinegar and garlic, but would like to try something different.

Also, what are the different methods of cooking them? I've only grilled.

o

There's a restaurant in Austin, Shady Grove that makes a great sandwich with them, they call it "Hippy Sandwich". Basically it's grilled portobellos, grilled eggplant, grilled onion, grilled tomato, all on a whole grain roll with a nice sort of mayo sauce on it. Just delicious!

o

I am an avid portabella mushroom eater. Serious, one week i had them 4 days in a row....yum!

I have used the same recipe every time.

1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
This is good for 3-4 mushrooms.
Emulsify with a whisk...and really this is the best part. It gets all creamy and thick..i cant stand it!

Marinate them like 1-2 hours

BBQ them...most important! They taste the best this way. Although tonight i used a grill in the oven.bout 15 mins 7 each side at 425..it was good mind you..but BBQ is the ultimate in taste sensation.
All my non veggie friends love this. Every once in a while i get the "wow, these would taste great on a steak with some onions!" LOL, i bet it would!

Kat

o
RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom

We just used these for burgers last night. I melted a pad of butter with blue cheese and a heap of garlic. I put spoonfuls in the caps and added a dry white wine. Wrapped in foil and put on the bbq for 20 (on low w/ 2 burners lit). I grilled the buns and topped the mushrooms with red onions and fresh spinach. Not too bad for my first try. I'd love other suggestions.

o

I put lemon pepper and a little bit of dill weed on mine. It's excellent!

o

I put a little olive oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms when oil is hot. I put minced garlic in the cap and add sweet vermouth to the pan as it is cooking. I cover the pan until the mushrooms are done. Then I put some shredded mozzerella cheese in the cap. Cook until cheese is melted. I put this on a buttered bun. It is soooo goood.

o

I love making portabella mushroom burgers. They are always a huge hit- even with the meat eaters!

o

Surprisingly, teriaki sauce is great marinated in them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here