Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_gw

RECIPE: Portabella Mushroom

Sara
23 years ago

Share you favorite recipe with these buggers.

I would love a good marinade to put on them.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• Linda C
    23 years ago

I just use a vinaigrette salad dressing, then grill them.
    Linda C

• rini
    23 years ago

I LOVE portabella mushrooms -

I also marinate, put in aluminum foil and bake or grill.

Also, for the baby bellas, I make stuffed mushrooms -

cut off the stem and chop up
    chop up onions and garlic and saute until soft
    add stems and other veggies sliced fine (green and
    red peppers, celery, little bit of carrots, etc.)
    cook until soft
    add a little bit of bread crumbs
    stuff mushroom heads and then bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.
    yum!

• nejnej
    23 years ago

Thanks. Those sound great. I am going to try stuffing them. YUM!

• Toni_KY
    21 years ago

What is a good marinade for them? I've used a mixture of olive oil, worcestershire, balsamic vinegar and garlic, but would like to try something different.

Also, what are the different methods of cooking them? I've only grilled.

• Sylvia
    21 years ago

There's a restaurant in Austin, Shady Grove that makes a great sandwich with them, they call it "Hippy Sandwich". Basically it's grilled portobellos, grilled eggplant, grilled onion, grilled tomato, all on a whole grain roll with a nice sort of mayo sauce on it. Just delicious!

• KitKat
    21 years ago

I am an avid portabella mushroom eater. Serious, one week i had them 4 days in a row....yum!

I have used the same recipe every time.

1/4 cup olive oil
    2-3 tbsp soya sauce
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    This is good for 3-4 mushrooms.
    Emulsify with a whisk...and really this is the best part. It gets all creamy and thick..i cant stand it!

Marinate them like 1-2 hours

BBQ them...most important! They taste the best this way. Although tonight i used a grill in the oven.bout 15 mins 7 each side at 425..it was good mind you..but BBQ is the ultimate in taste sensation.
    All my non veggie friends love this. Every once in a while i get the "wow, these would taste great on a steak with some onions!" LOL, i bet it would!

Kat

• alexis
    12 years ago

We just used these for burgers last night. I melted a pad of butter with blue cheese and a heap of garlic. I put spoonfuls in the caps and added a dry white wine. Wrapped in foil and put on the bbq for 20 (on low w/ 2 burners lit). I grilled the buns and topped the mushrooms with red onions and fresh spinach. Not too bad for my first try. I'd love other suggestions.

• 47dt
    12 years ago

I put lemon pepper and a little bit of dill weed on mine. It's excellent!

• lakelivin
    11 years ago

I put a little olive oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms when oil is hot. I put minced garlic in the cap and add sweet vermouth to the pan as it is cooking. I cover the pan until the mushrooms are done. Then I put some shredded mozzerella cheese in the cap. Cook until cheese is melted. I put this on a buttered bun. It is soooo goood.

• msdos
    11 years ago

I love making portabella mushroom burgers. They are always a huge hit- even with the meat eaters!

• stonehard
    11 years ago

Surprisingly, teriaki sauce is great marinated in them.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling