pink_warm_mama_1_gw

RECIPE: Looking For a Good Corn Chowder Recipe

pink_warm_mama_1
17 years ago

Can anyone help? No Mexican ingredients please. TIA

Comments (7)

• jakkom
    17 years ago

I just found this forum, so hope this isn't too late for you. I modified this from a vegetarian cookbook for my vegan friends. You can substitute regular dairy milk for the coconut milk, if you wish, and/or leave off the red pepper flakes if you don't want a spicy soup. It's very good!

SPICY CORN CHOWDER
    with Coconut and Lime
    (revised from vegetarian cookbook)

1 pkg KnorrÂs dry mix Vegetable Soup (vegetarian base)
    two 1-lb bags of frozen white corn, preferably C&W brand
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    2/3 of a can of coconut milk, stirred well (freeze the remainder for other uses)
    1/4 cup oyster sauce (vegetarian if a vegetarian soup is desired), optional
    1/4 tsp lemon pepper (if oyster sauce is not available, increase to 1/2 tsp and add 1/4 tsp honey)
    Hot sauce to taste (we use Busha BrowneÂs Pukka hot sauce, but standard Tabasco sauce can be subbed)
    1/4 cup lime juice (you may not need all of it; season to taste only)

1. In 6 cups of water, bring KnorrÂs soup mix to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    2. Turn the heat back up, add the corn and red pepper flakes. Cover and bring back to a boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Uncover, turn off the heat and let cool to lukewarm.
    3. Add all other ingredients, being careful to add the hot sauce to taste.
    4. Puree in blender, and reheat to serve.

This makes 3 qts of soup: enough for 6 as a meal starter, or as a main course for 3-4.

• decolady01
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe we really like. It is great to make in the summer with fresh veggies and herbs.

Garden Corn Chowder
    Serves 6 as a main dish with some crusty bread

1 lb frozen whole kernel corn
    2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    32 oz vegetable broth
    15 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 vegetable bouillon cube
    ½ tsp dried marjoram
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    ¼ tsp kosher salt
    ¼ tsp pepper
    3 or 4 diced Yukon Gold potatoes
    ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

Put corn in the crockpot and sprinkle with flour. Stir to mix. Put remaining ingredients (except for the potatoes & parsley) in the crockpot and cover. Cook on HI for 5 hours or LOW for 9 hours. Add potatoes about halfway through the cooking time. Stir in parsley just before serving.

This originally came from Southern Living. Changes I have made:
    1. A dozen or so fresh snapped beans make a nice addition.
    2. Add about 3 cloves of very thinly sliced elephant garlic.
    3. Use fresh herbs in place of dried.

Becky

• seabeckg
    16 years ago

My favorite corn chowder recipe ever is from Anna Thomas' Vegetarian Epicure circa 1972 [?]: hope passing this along is 'okay.': 1 large potato [I LOVE Yukon Gold but Yellow Finn if you can find it..I grow my veggies so..] 2 cups boiling salted water/ bay leaf/ 1/4 teaspoon dried sage/ 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/ 3 Tab. butter/ 1 onion,finely chopped/ 3 Tabs.flour/ 1 1/4 cups heavy cream [1/2 and 1/2 works but healthwise Soy milk does also] kernals from 2 ears of corn/ 1/2 Bakon yeast [I always leave this OUT!] chopped chives and parsely to taste [aw, just throw some in!] 1/4 tsp. nutmeg/ salt pepper to taste/ 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese/ 4 to 5 Tbs. dry white wine [sweetish works, use what you may like to drink but don't leave this one out!] Peel and dice potato and boil in salted water with bay leaf, sage and cummin until just tender, 15-20 minutes. Melt butter and saute onion until translucent [she says 'a while'] then add flour. Mix well and add cream, whisking. Pour this into potatos and water..add chopped herbs, simmer gently 10 minutes. Stir in grated cheese and wine, heating until cheese is melted..She calls it a hearty soup for cold nights and hungry people..we make Irish Soda bread and green salad, voila! a tremendous meal and oh so simple..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

I usually make a corn chowder just like any other kind of chowder...fish or clam but substituting the corn for the fish. Potatoes are involved and milk with just a bit of cream added at the end. I like to use fresh corn right off the cob because it tastes so fantastic. I also have been known to add small florets of broccoli when others in the family will tolerate this..[g]...it is my favorite way. If I am really going all out, I will add some bacon crumpled on the top. It is SO good!!

• earthie
    16 years ago

This is a simple corn/potato chowder I put together after having something similar at a Mexican restaurant. Don't expect traditional spiciness, though...this one is just smooth and fresh tasting.

Cilantro Lime Corn/Potato Chowder

2-3 pounds potatos cubed (I like the Yukon Golds. I leave the skins on)
    1 quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you prefer)
    1/2 sweet onion, chopped fine
    1/2 tsp pepper

Simmer covered until potatoes are tender. Puree to desired thickness with hand blender right in pot, leaving some chunks. Add:

1 # bag frozen super sweet corn
    Bring up to heat. Stir in:

2 T. lime juice
    splash of soy milk or soy creamer
    half a big bunch of cilantro, chopped

Chop up the other half of the bunch and top the soup right before serving.

• dr_house_pa
    15 years ago

I'm late on this but my favorite is derived from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Corn Chowder in the winter which works well with fresh summer corn also. The original calls for olive oil. I don't use it.

1 small yellow onion, chopped
    1 celery rib, chopped
    1 large potato [recipe called for Yukon gold, I use any]
    3 cups frozen corn kernels [or fresh]
    1/2 small yellow bell pepper, seed and chop
    4 cups of your favorite vegetable stock, I use No Chicken Stock by Imagine
    salt [can omit]
    Fresh ground pepper
    1 large ripe tomato, chopped
    Tomato and herb seasoning
    Lemon pepper seasoning
    Rosemary
    Note those are my seasonings the recipe called for
    1 tbsp fresh chives, parsley and other fresh herbs to taste the author recommended Thai basil

Saute the onions and celery in water [or oil] until soft.

Transfer to crock pot [you can do this in the crockpot but pay attention and don't leave the room] Add the potato, corn, pepper and stock. Season to taste with salt and ground pepper and spices. Cook on low 6 hours

Ladle 2 cups solids into a processor and process until smooth then stir back in and taste then season.

To serve ladle in bowls and garnish with fresh herbs and tomato

If you do not puree this and add barley to it you get a lovely corn barley soup. Other Veggies can be added to complete it. add to the barley corn soup to taste.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks to one and all for submitting lucious-sounding recipes.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert