Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Recipe: Persimmon & Goat Cheese tart

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 26, 10 at 16:58

I have no idea where I got this recipe from, and it could well have been GW. Anyway, I tried it for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit as an appetizer.

Persimmon & Goat Cheese Tart

This wonderful tart of firm, sweet persimmons and salty, savory cheese makes a just-sweet-enough combination, perfect for a dessert or as part of a brunch buffet. The herbs, an integral part of this dish, enliven it and make it sparkle.

1 pound Fuyu persimmons
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 (8- to 9-inch) partially baked pate sucre tart shell
2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
3 to 4 ounces soft goat cheese
2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
2 teaspoons minced fresh chives

INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cut each persimmon horizontally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Toss with the lemon juice. Arrange in the tart shell in overlapping circles. If the fruit is not very sweet, sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake for 15 minutes, until the fruit starts to cook but is still firm. Baking time will vary depending on the ripeness and thickness of the fruit. Remove the tart from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top.

Return to the oven and bake until the cheese softens and starts to brown, about 5 minutes longer. If desired, put the tart under the broiler to get more color.

Remove the tart and garnish with the chopped herb mixture.

Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Serves 6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Recipe: Persimmon & Goat Cheese tart

This is fabulous. Thank you!

o

I'm a huge Goat Cheese lover. So yummy!

o

Quick update: I made this tart again, but this time I used filo sheets as the base. I used a butter-flavored cooking spray, layering about six greased sheets in an 8" pan.

I angled the sheets slightly so that when I folded the excess inside, the square corners didn't get too thick. I tossed the persimmon slices with both lemon juice and brown sugar, because the fruit had barely ripened in time for Xmas day dinner.

Baking time/temp was the same as for regular pastry dough. Spouse said he liked it with the filo even better than a butter pastry dough. Big hit with everyone, and very easy!

I didn't have any fresh herbs except some pineapple sage growing in my garden. This is very different than regular sage, with a sweet pineapple flavor. It was great shredded in with the persimmons and chevre.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here