Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leestreet_gw

RECIPE: Thanksgiving

leestreet
16 years ago

I'm looking for a vegetarian main dish for the lone vegetarian at Thanksgiving. Any ideas? I've served her a stuffed Portabella Mushroom for years so would like something new.

Comments (4)

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

If you scroll down the posts, I have one about a rice-nut loaf that's great for the holidays... it's more than enough for more than one person, however, so you may not want to make it, but it makes a nice side dish and also leftovers. It has sage and other Thanksgiving-type herbs and is my favorite vegetarian loaf. Just note that brown rice is kind of essential -- white rice is too bland for this.

Otherwise, you can buy small veg*n "roasts" that aren't bad -- I make a mushroom gravy to serve with them. On the other hand, they aren't that great, either :)

You could get a package of tempeh and just bake it awhile in bottled BBQ sauce -- just slice it and put it in a baked pan and pour sauce and onions over it (green peppers, too, if you like). The recipe I use is at the link below. A package of tempeh isn't a huge amount and it would give her some nice leftovers for sandwiches -- and doesn't everyone like leftovers at Thanksgiving? I love tempeh and it would be an easy and good thing to fix.

Anything else I can think of involves making more of another dish than you probably want, but that might get you started...

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQ tempeh

• jclepine
    16 years ago

I have loads of T-Day ideas! What about an individual pot pie?
    For the pie:
    1 lb puff pastry, thawed
    1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    16 whole chestnuts, peeled if fresh
    1 large red bell pepper, sliced
    1 large onion, sliced
    3 Tbl spoons sunflower oil
    1 egg yolk, beaten w/ 1 Tbl spoon water
    For the sauce:
    scant 1/2 cup all p. flour
    3 Tbl spoons butter
    1/2 pint milk (I use same amount soy milk)
    3 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
    2 Tbl spoons dry sherry (I've never bothered)
    generous pinch of dried sage
    S&P
    3 Tbl spoons chopped fresh parsley
    Prepare:
    Roll out pastry to make 2 rectangles, about the size of the baking dish, one a little larger (for the bottom), about 1/4 inch thick. Set aside in fridge.
    Blanch Brussels for about 4 minutes in one cup boiling water, drain and reserve water.
    Cut chestnuts in half, fry red pepper and onion in oil for f minutes, set aside.
    Beat the flour, milk and butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, stir continuously, bring to boil, stir till thick and smooth.
    Stir in reserved sprout water and cheese, sherry, sage and S&P, simmer for 3 minutes to reduce then stir in parsley.
    Fit the large sheet of dough to the bottom of the dish, then add the sprouts, chestnuts, peppers and onions on top, drizzle with the sauce.
    Brush pastry edges with beaten egg yolk and put the second pastry on top, smooshing the edges together and crimping. Mark he center with a steam hole, set aside while oven preheats to 400F, bake 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
    The chestnuts and pie shell make it holiday-ish.

• hald
    16 years ago

I made the pot pie recipe yesterday on Thanksgiving. It was delicious. Thanks for sharing. Also, I found the easiest way of getting the skins off the chestnuts was to lightly roast them in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop. Thanks again,
    -Hal

• jclepine
    16 years ago

oh, yum! I'm glad you made the recipe, I haven't made it in years but I always think of picking up chestnuts just in case. Glad it worked!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler