Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zan_gw

RECIPE: Vegetarian Thai and Indian recipes

zan
23 years ago

I adore Thai and Indian food! Most recipes I've found have been VERY meat oriented. I've found a veggie satay recipe, and a tip that tofu is a good paneer substitute. Anybody have Thai, Indian, or similar exotic recipes to share?

Comments (15)

• Janet
    23 years ago

Here's a website I just recently found.

http://www.healthyeating.net/index.html?http://www.healthyeating.net/he_8-01.htm~mainFrame

I copied a number of the soup recipes from the Middle East that are posted there.

• Janet
    23 years ago

I just copied and pasted the above address I gave you and found it does not take you directly to the area I'm talking about. ARRRRGGGG! Anyway, it will get you to the basic website. Then in the left-hand column click on meatless recipes. That will bring up the page where you can then click on vegetarian recipes from the Vegetarian Resource Group. This is the place that has vegetarian recipes using lentils, vegetarian soups from the Middle East, Greek and Indian recipes, etc. I hope these instructions are clear enough and helpful.

• rosie
    23 years ago

In the Asian section of the grocery store you'll find Thai Peanut sauce mix (don't remember the brand name but a % of the sale goes to saving elephants). You mix the packets with a 14 oz can of coconut milk (you can use the light version) and simmer until well heated. I stir fry mixed vegies (any combo that you like will work)and add them to the sauce along with about 1/4 cup of lightly salted dry roasted peanuts. Stir until everything is well covered with the sauce and pour over hot rice. It is a a nice tangy dish that's fast and easy to make.

• Heidi Rogers
    23 years ago

Try any book by Indian author Bharti Kirchner (she has written several). They are all available from the library and the recipes are fabulous! I love her book "Vegetarian Burgers" as these recipes lend themselves well to using up leftovers.

• Savita
    23 years ago

Hi, there are thousands and thousands variation of Indian vegetarian dishes....the majority of the country is vegetarian! If you are interested in purchasing cookbooks...Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Vegetarian Cooking is an ABSOLUTELY excellent place to start. Also if you search on the internet, for Indian recipes, you can find plenty of vegetarian recipes. I am Indian and would be more than proud and pleased to share some authentic recipes. I'll write some of them down later, while I sit and collect my thoughts...any suggestions? Hope this helps!

Savita

• zan
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Savita! Oh, I'd love some authentic recipes. Most of my cookbooks are so meat oriented it is not even funny. I'd thought about buying the cookbook you mentioned, but wasn't sure if it was a good one, guess I'll be making a trip to Amazon... I'd love to know how to make nan in a standard oven, as well as a recipe for alu matar, vegetable korma (is there such a thing?) pulao, vegetable biryani, veggies vindaloo and bhuna, etc. Plus anything you love which you don't seem to find in Indian restaurants, as this is the entire basis of my personal experience with Indian food.

• Carol Ann
    23 years ago

Savita,

Thank you for the offer!!! I have found some good vegetarian recipes in a variety of cookbooks but would love to try anything you have to share, especially things with lentils or chickpeas.

We'll keep you busy for awhile, won't we? Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing what you have to share!

Carol

• Carol Ann
    23 years ago

Savita, one more request. Do you make your own garam masala? I would love to try your recipe if you have one. I have the ingredients but haven't mixed it up yet.

Thanks again!

Carol

• zan
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Ooh, ooh, yeah! Garam masala!

• Savita
    23 years ago

Hey guys!

Sorry that I haven't been here in a while! Work has been keeping me busy!

Yes!...you will be keeping me busy, but I'm more than happy to share recipes. I'll write recipes bit by bit so that you guys don't get completely inundated with recipes all over the page!!

I actually don't make my own garam masala...I find it too be too much extra work! (so sue me I'm lazy!!)...but here is a good recipe you can use..

Garam Masala

Cumin Seeds - 7 tablespoons
    Cardamom - 3 1/2 tablespoons
    Black Pepper - 3 1/2 tablespoons
    Fennel (Saunf) Seeds - 2 tablespoons
    Black Cumin Seeds - 2 tablespoons
    Coriander Seeds - 2 tablespoons
    Cloves - 1 tablespoon
    1" cinnamon stick
    Bay Leaf - 1 tablespoon, crushed...about 2 leaves
    Ginger Powder - 3/4 tablespoon (crushed dry root)
    Mace - 1 tablespoon
    Nutmegs - 2 (broken)

Procedure

Dry grind all ingredients except (if using) powdered ginger. Do not roast. Mix in the ginger
    powder well. Store as general.

Makes: 1 1/2 Cups.

Hope this helps guys! I think if you were to use garam masala bought in the Indian grocery stores, it would be just as authentic and would save you gobs of time!

I'll be writing more recipes later!

Next...aloo mattar...by the way, do you want these recipes to be vegan? or lacto-vegetarian...I can give substitutes for dairy for those who are vegan!

Happy eating for now!!

Savita

• Simon
    23 years ago

This was looking really good!!

But it all kind of dried up a month after it started! What happened??

Anyway, if there's anybody out there, do you know a good recipe for tofu ka prao or tom kha hed/tofu that doesn't use fish sauce?? Or maybe just a good veggie substitute for fish sauce??

Thanks,

Simon

• tanya
    23 years ago

You all can go on http://www.bawarchi.com/ also to find vegetarian dishes. Sorry Savita, After looking at large varitey at this site , I thought I should save you typing so many receipies.
    As everyone know, all cooks have their own way of cooking and same dish can differ in taste by them so I would like that Savita gives us her own tips and tricks as well as some of the dishes which she thinks is best.
    Good Luck all.
    Tanya

• Gardener15
    23 years ago

Fish sauce...I think you could use soya sauce as a substitute.

• VV
    23 years ago

Guys you can also go www.ammas.com they have tons of recipes mostly Indian.

• grama_jj
    21 years ago

I lived in Goa, India about 20 yrs ago and learned to make Dal from a neighbor. Unfortunately I have long forgot how and my childrens taste buds very much want this recipe. All I remember is cooking the spices in a spoon over a a fire we made after collecting wood, digging a hole in the ground, and walking two miles to the village market to buy the spices and lentils. I do realize it will be easier now if I can get the correct recipe as I have tried a few I found in cookbooks.
    Thanks
    grama jj

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm