Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esofva

RECIPE: Veggie recipes

esofva
15 years ago

HAH!!! This would also help ME when they come so I can cook for him!!!!!

Deb

Comments (7)

• esofva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOOOPS!!! I forgot to submit the first email!!!
    I need vegetarian recipes that are easy to cook for my daughter. She has married really nice guy that does not eat any animal products. I would like to put together a recipe book for her. I do NOT want to buy another book for her only to find the recipes in it taste like $%##@ and money is wasted.

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

Well, my advice is to just seek out recipes on sites like allrecipes.com, recipezaar.com, and various vegetarian recipe sites, and try cooking them yourself -- if they taste good, then add it to the recipe book. It might take a few months, and lots of vegetarian eating on your part, though, to compile enough recipes ;)

A few recipes that I really like:

Middle Eastern Green Beans and Tomatoes -- it sounds weird, but it's surprisingly good. We make this at our house almost every week, because it's easy, uses fresh vegetables, and tastes really yummy.

Pinto Beans with Greens Just a quick easy recipe. I prefer it with chard myself...I use chard in just about anything that I can.

Bean Tacos We use this as our base recipe for tacos, but we use pinto beans (I prefer them to black beans, personally), and we use hard taco shells, not soft. It's really yummy.

Spinach Enchiladas As always, I used chard in this instead of spinach, but you could use either :) Easy, basic recipe.

Zucchini Alfredo Had to find a way to use up some zucchini, and this was surprisingly tasty. One of my other favorite things to do is take a basic alfredo sauce and add veggies to it, like...chard ;) Or spinach, or mushrooms, or whatever.

The nice thing about using recipe sites like the above is that if you don't want to go through the hassle of cooking all the recipes yourself and trying them out, you can just pick recipes that have really good reviews and ratings :) Both sites allow you to limit your searches to vegetarian meals...I've done some recipe scouting on "vegetarian" sites, and haven't had a whole lot of luck so far; either the sites don't have easy to use reviews/ratings, or the recipes use bizarre ingredients, or the food was just plain awful. If anyone knows of a good veggie site that is set up like allrecipes.com, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm a horrific cook myself, and all of the above recipes are relatively easy, and all have half an hour of prep time or less. Hope this is some help :)

• rivkadr
    15 years ago

And because I have nothing better to do, I thought I might add to this thread as I come across recipes that I really like (we try 1 or 2 new ones every week). If anyone has any really good recipes they love, link to or post them here -- let's make this a sharing thread!

Last night's recipe was Jalapeno Bean BBQ Burgers, which sound a little scary, but OMG, they were so good. We've tried some of the frozen "veggie" burgers (Gardenburger, Boca) in the past, and never been impressed, and had a hard time making ones at home because they often use nuts (I'm allergic). I was excited to find this recipe, because it uses no nuts, and has BBQ sauce, which my husband loves. They're a little spicy, but I didn't find them to be overwhelming, and they were very, very tasty. Definitely worth a try!

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Go to the library and check out some vegetarian cookbooks. Ones with pictures are helpful to new cooks.

• popi_gw
    15 years ago

thanks rivkadr - I might just give that a try tonight. Only thing is I don't like bbbq sauce, might put something else in.

P

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Esofva, I think it is hard to pick good recipes of any kind, vegetarian or otherwise, since people's taste's vary so much. For example, I love beans and greens and I whip up a meal of them almost every week with frozen greens, but I can well imagine many people would not like it due to not liking greens, especially frozen ones with their slime factor.

That's the beauty of a good cookbook, lots of options. Use the search function on here, there is a very nice long thread about good vegetarian cookbooks. I get a lot of my recipes online, from the FoodNetwork Website (www.foodnetwork.com) and from Epicurious and Eating Well. (www.epicurious.com and www.eatingwell.com) I like that they have pictures.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Here's the link to the cookbook thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite veggie cookbooks

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths