Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicesrestaurant

LOOKING for: Recipe for homemade tofu crumbles

alicesRestaurant
19 years ago

I would like to start with a block of tofu (probably not Silken brand?). I would guess that I should cube it and marinate it in something for a while and then bake (sort of like homemade croutons) and then crumble and maybe bake some more?

If anyone has some process (along with seasonings and marinade) they have used with good results, I would love to hear about it.

--Alice

Comments (3)

• alicesRestaurant
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Okay, because I didn't get a response, I invented my own.
    Please feel free to critique or suggest changes. I'm really winging it here.

Tofu Crumbles

1 lb. hard Chinese-style tofu or extra-firm Japanese-style tofu
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. salt to taste(may not need is soy sauce used)
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. dry basil
    1 tsp. dry oregano
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
    Dice the tofu. Then put in a bowl and squeeze the mixture with your bare hands until it is very crumbly. Sprinkle olive oil over tofu mixture and mix well with spoon (or again with bare hands).

Then add remaining seasonings together in a separate bowl.
    Sprinkle seasonings over tofu mixture and mix well, squeezing with your hand those cubes that have not yet been crumbled or that are too large or that need squeezing. Sprinkle soy sauce over mixture and mix again.

Use small 13x9 or flat cookie sheet. Parchment paper works well but can spray pan with Pam instead. Spread crumbly mixture as consistently as possible in the pan in a flat layer. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. After 15 minutes, remove pan and mix the mixture with a big spoon and return it to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes. Do this one more time. (Total of 45 minutes, could have done it again...)

Now freeze the crumbly mixture for about 4 hours. Then remove from freezer (if you remember) and mix with your finger tips trying to break up any tofu chunks that are stuck together. Put back in freezer hopefully at this point, the crumbles will keep separated.

Should result in about 1.5 cups of tofu crumbles.

• alicesRestaurant
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm really enjoying these tofu crumbles. Definitely don't need salt plus the soy sauce, choose one or the other.
    I cooked them an additional 15 minutes yesterday and they really got crunchy. My husband said they were a little like bacon bits. Anyway, I've sprinkled them in a green salad and used like croutons. Also, I've sprinkled them in a quick rice dish I made up of cooked brown rice, grated cheese and a couple of tablespoons of cooked lima beans mixed and microwaved - yum.

New Idea: I think I will change the seasoning to the equivalent of taco seasoning. My copycat recipe for taco seasoning is:
    2 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
    2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    dash of salt
    dash of sugar
    (from vegweb.com)
    This should work for the same amount of tofu baking it til it dehydrates. Speaking of dehydrator, I think I should just bite the bullet and get one. It sure would make fixing these crumbles a lot easier.
    --Alice

• lpinkmountain
    19 years ago

I use a similar technique (freezing and then thawing) when using tofu to make "sloppy joes." I also bake tofu slabs whole using the "coat and bake" method which seems to dry out the tofu and give it more heft and the coating adds flavor. I add tofu to roasted vegetables too, which has a similar effect.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath