Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for: Spicy lo mein recipe

Posted by tammy518 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 07 at 9:51

I'm looking for a very simple but tasty spicy lo mein recipe that I can whip up quickly on a busy week night. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for: Spicy lo mein recipe

I tend to cook without measuring, but I'll try my best to give you a simple recipe. If you have access to a Chinatown or a good Asian grocer, start with getting true lo mein noodles, which are usually made out of egg.

Heat your large prying pan or wok on high heat, THEN add about 2 Tbs canola or peanut oil - it should almost start to smoke. Then add as much as you like of:

finely chopped garlic
finely chopped ginger
chili peppers (I use small thai peppers)

Saute for 1 minute. Then add noodles, tossing frequently to coat. To that I usually add:

Bean sprouts
peas
mushrooms
whatever greens I have on hand (lettuce works great!)
scallion or finely chopped onion

Keep tossing frequently for about one more minute, then add the sauce mixture, which is:

3 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs ground bean paste (also found at an asian grocery)
1 Tbs sesame oil (you can use hot sesame oil instead if you prefer)
1 tsp sugar
smidge of salt and pepper

Enjoy!

o

Oops, I forgot to add that I put a whole bunch of cilantro on top when it's ready, but not everyone likes cilantro, so that is totally an optional item.

o

Using sesame oil is excellent idea because people who keep using nothing but this wonderful oil lowered their blood pressure.
Why people are taking high cost of drugs when we can lower our blood pressure by eating right foods and being active?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here