Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: New here....

Posted by
Dawn
(leomatthews@sprint.ca) on
Sat, Sep 8, 01 at 20:59

Hi,

I'm new here and not 100% vegetarian, (sorry), but eat very little meat and some fish.

Mostly, I follow the eating recommendations of Dr. Gabe Mirkin because they make me feel great and healthy.

Basically I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and whole grains. I don't add fat to my meals (including olive oil) but I do eat a few nuts here and there, and whole olives.

I would love to borrow any recipes that do not contain land-dwelling animals, fat, white rice or flour, oil or sugar. I also eat very little bread.

I have quite a few recipes, but love to vary my meals and hope you can help.

I've only been eating this way for a couple of months, with great success, but feel I need a little more variety.

I am allergic to onions, but can handle onion powder (I think it is the acid in the juice) and like the flavor.

I love herbs and spices and would be very interested in new combinations!

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: New here....

Hi Dawn,
I began Dr. Mirkin's diet plan about 4 wks. ago. I'd like some recipes, also. I like this diet, as I do not get really hungary, and I found I don't miss the meats and refined flour products at all like I thought I would. I just was not use to cooking and eating whole grains, and would like some really tasty recipes to add variety to my meals.

o
Velma

Have you been successful at cooking whoe grains in the microwave? I suck at it and am having a difficult time finding cokking times.

Dawn

o
RE: RECIPE: New here....

I have not tried microwaving but I'm going to experiment with these microwave directions I found at kitchenlink.com without the butter of course I bought a new steamer and I am trying to get use to it. I've always cooked on the stove-top before.
This is adapted from an article from Sunset Magazine, February, 1988

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lentils, Rice, or Polenta for One

COOKING SOME GRAINS and legumes for a single serving is hardly practical the conventional way. You often end up making more than you need, and sometimes half ot it sticks to the cooking pan. But with a microwave oven, you can cook small amounts neatly with no leftovers.

For a side dish, cook with water (or broth, for polenta), then serve plain or with butter. The rice and barley can also be served for breakfast with light cream, brown sugar and raisins or sliced bananas.

MICROWAVE POLENTA FOR 1
Makes 1/2 cup, l serving

1 cup water or regular-strength chicken broth
1/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt

In a 1-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together the water, polenta, and butter. Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 percent), stirring once after 3 minutes, until polenta is tender and liquid is absorbed, 7 to 8 minutes. Spoon polenta onto plate and sprinkle with cheese and salt to taste.

MICROWAVE RICE FOR 1
Makes 3/4 cup, 1 serving

1 or 1 1/4 cups water (see directions)
1/4 cup white or brown long-grain rice
Salt

In a 1-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together 1 cup water with white rice (use 1-1/4 cups with brown rice). Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 percent) until most of the water evaporates, 10 to 11 minutes (20 minutes for brown rice).

Cover with plastic wrap and continue cooking at half power (50 percent) until tender to bite, 2 to 5 minutes longer. Add salt to taste.

MICROWAVE BARLEY FOR 1
Makes 3/4 cup, 1 serving

1/4 cup pearl barley
1 cup water
Salt

Sort through barley and discard any debris. Rinse and drain. In a 1-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together water and barley. Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 per-cent) until mixture boils, 3 to 4 minutes.

Cover with plastic wrap and cook at half power (50 percent) until barley is tender to bite, 18 to 20 minutes longer. Drain. Add salt to taste.

MICROWAVE LENTILS FOR 1
Makes 3/4 cup, 1 serving

1/4 cup lentils
1 cup water
Salt

Sort through lentils and discard any debris. Rinse and drain. In a 1-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together water and lentils. Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 percent) until mixture boils, 3 to 4 minutes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here