Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_gw

RECIPE: New here....

Dawn
22 years ago

Hi,

I'm new here and not 100% vegetarian, (sorry), but eat very little meat and some fish.

Mostly, I follow the eating recommendations of Dr. Gabe Mirkin because they make me feel great and healthy.

Basically I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables and whole grains. I don't add fat to my meals (including olive oil) but I do eat a few nuts here and there, and whole olives.

I would love to borrow any recipes that do not contain land-dwelling animals, fat, white rice or flour, oil or sugar. I also eat very little bread.

I have quite a few recipes, but love to vary my meals and hope you can help.

I've only been eating this way for a couple of months, with great success, but feel I need a little more variety.

I am allergic to onions, but can handle onion powder (I think it is the acid in the juice) and like the flavor.

I love herbs and spices and would be very interested in new combinations!

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

Comments (3)

• valaria_usa_net
    22 years ago

Hi Dawn,
    I began Dr. Mirkin's diet plan about 4 wks. ago. I'd like some recipes, also. I like this diet, as I do not get really hungary, and I found I don't miss the meats and refined flour products at all like I thought I would. I just was not use to cooking and eating whole grains, and would like some really tasty recipes to add variety to my meals.

• leomatthews_sprint_ca
    22 years ago

Have you been successful at cooking whoe grains in the microwave? I suck at it and am having a difficult time finding cokking times.

Dawn

• valaria_usa_net
    22 years ago

I have not tried microwaving but I'm going to experiment with these microwave directions I found at kitchenlink.com without the butter of course I bought a new steamer and I am trying to get use to it. I've always cooked on the stove-top before.
    This is adapted from an article from Sunset Magazine, February, 1988

Lentils, Rice, or Polenta for One COOKING SOME GRAINS and legumes for a single serving is hardly practical the conventional way. You often end up making more than you need, and sometimes half ot it sticks to the cooking pan. But with a microwave oven, you can cook small amounts neatly with no leftovers. For a side dish, cook with water (or broth, for polenta), then serve plain or with butter. The rice and barley can also be served for breakfast with light cream, brown sugar and raisins or sliced bananas. MICROWAVE POLENTA FOR 1 Makes 1/2 cup, l serving 1 cup water or regular\-strength chicken broth 1/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal 1 teaspoon butter or margarine Grated Parmesan cheese (optional) Salt In a 1\-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together the water, polenta, and butter. Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 percent), stirring once after 3 minutes, until polenta is tender and liquid is absorbed, 7 to 8 minutes. Spoon polenta onto plate and sprinkle with cheese and salt to taste. MICROWAVE RICE FOR 1 Makes 3/4 cup, 1 serving 1 or 1 1/4 cups water (see directions) 1/4 cup white or brown long\-grain rice Salt In a 1\-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together 1 cup water with white rice (use 1\-1/4 cups with brown rice). Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 percent) until most of the water evaporates, 10 to 11 minutes (20 minutes for brown rice). Cover with plastic wrap and continue cooking at half power (50 percent) until tender to bite, 2 to 5 minutes longer. Add salt to taste. MICROWAVE BARLEY FOR 1 Makes 3/4 cup, 1 serving 1/4 cup pearl barley 1 cup water Salt Sort through barley and discard any debris. Rinse and drain. In a 1\-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together water and barley. Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 per\-cent) until mixture boils, 3 to 4 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and cook at half power (50 percent) until barley is tender to bite, 18 to 20 minutes longer. Drain. Add salt to taste. MICROWAVE LENTILS FOR 1 Makes 3/4 cup, 1 serving 1/4 cup lentils 1 cup water Salt Sort through lentils and discard any debris. Rinse and drain. In a 1\-quart glass measuring cup or bowl, stir together water and lentils. Cook, uncovered, in a microwave oven at full power (100 percent) until mixture boils, 3 to 4 minutes.
Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler