Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mew_gw

LOOKING for: Portabello recipes!

mew
23 years ago

Hi!

Hubby and I tried Portabello mushrooms for the 1st time at the Flying Fish restaurant in Walt Disney World. They were fabulous--marinated like steak or steak sauce.

Anyone know a recipe from the restaurant or like theirs? The taste was very "meaty".

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• zan
    23 years ago

No recipe, but I just had fajitas at Ruby Tuesday's with portabellas as a meat substitute and it was superb!

• Carol Ann
    23 years ago

Hi -

I don't have a specific marinade but I know they are wonderful just plain grilled, maybe with a bit of olive oil on them and your herbs of choice. It wouldn't be hard to come up with your own marinade (start with a bit of olive oil and try tarragon or rosemary and whatever else appeals to you, maybe a bit of wine). I think portabellos have a meaty taste anyway. Had a grilled portabello sandwiche with tomato, lettuce, onion.... sounds simple but it was superb and all the meat-eaters around me thought I picked the best item and wished they'd tried it!

Fajitas - great idea! I'll have to try that....

Hope this helps a bit.

Bon appetit!

• Ginger - St Thomas
    23 years ago

You might like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated portabella

• Flash (Darlene)
    23 years ago

One of the local deli's here has an awsome portabella sandwich. It's grilled portabella on foccacia (sp?) bread with tomatoes, fetta cheese, garlic & caper sauce and sauteed spinach & onions. YUMMY!

My husband, knowing how much I love this sandwich, bought portabellas for the first time and served them on fresh herb bread with homemade basil pesto, homegrown tomatoes & onions. It was great! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

• Zia S
    23 years ago

I just grill them, brushed with olive oil. Then put them on a bagel or in a pita with a piece of cheddar or mozzarella cheese.

• VeggieCore
    22 years ago

Here is a recipe that I discovered at a restaurant in Grand Rapids, MI. You marinate the portabello cap in Balsamic vinegar and olive oil with rosemary. Throw it on the grill with some eggplant and red and yellow peppers. Get some home-made flatbread or grainy bread of your choice. Lightly toast the bread and stack up the sandwich with the mushroom cap, the peppers, the eggplant, some Gouda cheese, some sliced tomato, and some Romain lettuce. Try it for a delicious colorful sandwich. You'll be craving it all the time.

• christine
    22 years ago

Once in a while my BF will make me grilled portabellos. He marinates them in teriyaki sauce and then glazes them with teriyaki glaze while they are grilling. It is so easy to make, but they are delicious!

• Vanessa
    22 years ago

Some great recommends above, but be warned that most sliced mushrooms give off a lot of water in the pan, so they'll need to saute for a while (using herbs, wine, garlic, whatever you like). Keep stirring and make sure you reduce the pan's liquid down to almost nothing and you'll find that the flavor of the mushrooms gets very concentrated and "meaty."

• Ann
    22 years ago

I saw Sara Moulton make this appetizer on her show, "Cooking Live" It's delicious!

Portabello and Sun-dried Tomato Bruschetta
    Serves: 4
    ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
    1 cup water
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    4 portabello mushroom caps
    3 cloves garlic
    3 tablespoons olive oil

In a small saucepan, simmer tomatoes in water, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes.
    In a blender, puree tomatoes, cooking liquid and vinegar until smooth and season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
    Cut mushrooms into ½-inch chunks and mince garlic. In a large skillet heat 2 teaspoons oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook mushrooms and garlic with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
    Remove skillet from heat and toss mushrooms with remaining tablespoon oil.
    Toast bread (grill pan works great) and top with tomatoes and mushrooms.

• Eileen
    22 years ago

Brush with Olive Oil Grill and then add S&P chop coarsley and toss with baby greens chopped tomatoe, cucumber and vadalia onion add a good Goat cheese(if you eat cheese) and a nice balsamic vinegarette dressing and add some nice chopped walnuts .This is sooooooo GOOD!!!!!

• sciencehall
    22 years ago

Mix butter with freshly minced garlic. Spread over gill side of cap, and grill.

I gotta go fix some now....yum

• jus2kewt
    22 years ago

Try sauteing them in just Bragg's Aminos- delicious!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor