Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Meat analog recipies

Posted by borealis (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 02 at 11:22

Hello, everyone!

I am looking for recipies for meat analogs-I am using this term hoping to get more than the blank looks I receive when I call such things "fake meat". Does anyone know of places where I can find recipies for imitation hot dogs, "chicken" patties, etc? The products in stores are far too expensive, and many are not very particularly healthy or tasty. I have learned that freezing silken tofu gives it a stringy texture, but it can be rubbery, and I haven't been successful in flavouring or cooking it. After freezing silken tofu, there's a lot of water left over, though, unlike regular tofu, which looks (and tastes) like a bloated sponge after freezing. I am also curious as to how soybeans come to resemble hotdogs. . . this should not be possible, although how meat becomes hot dogs is not particularly palatable. Strange things, indeed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Happy gardening!

Borealis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Meat analog recipies

Hi Borealis,

You might try www.vegweb.com. They have a HUGE recipie section including hundreds of do it yourself meat analogs.

Paul

o

Hello!

Thank you very much, Paul!

Happy gardening!

Borealis

o

I like to make bulgar wheat "Mock Meatballs" and the recipe is from the Vegetarian Times cookbook.
Not vegan as there is an egg.
You mix up 2 cups uncooked bulgar and 1 tablespoon minced onion, dried oregano and ground black pepper (to taste) with a beaten egg. Make these into balls. You fry these in a little (or more than a little) olive oil until they're browned, then pour about a cup of tomato juice into the skillet, cover and simmer until the bulgar softens. you may have to add more juice.

o

Hello!

Thanks, Jasper_austin. I have tried something similar with TVP and couscous, but hopefully, the bulgar does not soak oil as readily as couscous.

Happy gardening!

Borealis

o

Here's a recipe that's good for "fooling" them to believe its meat! I have not eaten meat, chicken or fish for 33 years, and seem to be healthier than your normal old person.
Sunburgers:
1/2 C.grated carrots ------------------ oil
1/2c.fine chopped celery -------- 1/4c.tomato juice
TBL.ea.parsley,green pepper
1c.ground sunflower seed
1 egg beaten ---------- basil and salt

Combine ingredients,shape into patties,bake in oiled pan 15 min. @350, or just fry like hamburgers.

o

Hello!

Thank you, Skizi! It sounds good; I bake mine, too.

Happy gardening!

Borealis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here