Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baci_gw

RECIPE: urid dal & dal flour

baci
18 years ago

Does anyone have tips on seasoning urid dal? I have made a couple of dishes  it is a great tasting legume. I have found some recipes using asafetida. Does this herb affect the taste that much? Also, does anyone know a source? I want to try it because of its health effects.

Also, how is it cooked? The instructions I found were to pressure cook 1 cup/5 cups water, but I used about 3 cups of water & boiled it & it turned out fine. Has anyone ever tried cooking it in a rice cooker?

I served this to my non vegetarian friend the other day & he actually liked it. I had to serve it with meat to get him to eat it, but at least it got him to try this healthy dish.

Another question  I saw some gram flour the other day in the market & will try it next. Anyone have any tips on cooking with the flour?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bumping this down.

• superbee
    18 years ago

Hi,

You can try this simple recipe.

Pressure cook (you can also use a rice cooker) the urad dal.
    In a pan, put one teaspoon of oil and when it is hot, add either mustard or cummin seeds.
    Saute some onions and then tomatoes for 2 minutes and add the cooked urad dal to this. Cook for 2 more minutes. Serve with rice.

Hope this is of help.

• baci
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks superbee  I thought I would not get any response. I will try your recipe  it sounds simple and flavorful. I thought of cooking it in a rice cooker  that would make things very easy. With my rice cooker, I can cook 2 things at the same time, which should get my meal preparation time down to about 20 minutes. I will have to see if they cook equally, however.
    Dal is a very easy to prepare legume that even meat lovers like. It is no harder to prepare, & from your recipe - easier - than green split peas. At $2.30 for a 2 lb bag, it is also economical. In my opinion, vegetarian diets are more interesting and creative, as long as there is the constant quest for different veggies. Dal is not that uncommon, and should be a staple of vegetarian diets.

• superbee
    18 years ago

True. It is a great source of protein too. And you can cook any dal with this recipe I gave. As for the rice cooker, yeah if you cook two things at once, they cook equally well at the same time. At least that has been my experience :)

Enjoy.

• superbee
    18 years ago

True. It is a great source of protein too. And you can cook any dal with this recipe I gave. As for the rice cooker, yeah if you cook two things at once, they cook equally well at the same time. At least that has been my experience :)

Enjoy.

• hald
    17 years ago

I use asafetida when I'm cooking indian dishes. It is also called hing. I find it gives a sourness to flavors so I use it sparingly. -Hal

• newgarderner
    17 years ago

Real season to use asafetida(hing) is that the legumes are hard to digest and gasy, as goes with all high protein food. Hing helps reduce gas and to make it easy on stomach.
    But use sparingly
    hope this help

• baci
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all for your help and increasing my understanding of this legume. It makes me want to cook up another dish of dal. There is a herb used in Mexican cooking that also helps increase digestion but I can not stand the smell of it. I am going to have to try that hing.