Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Vegetable Stock

Posted by alicesRestaurant (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 04 at 1:20

I would like something with quantities spelled out rather than "a little bit of this and that". Also, keeping it simple and limiting the different ingredients would be nice. It seems that so many recipes require two cups of chicken stock. That is what I want to use this for consistently.

Maybe a combination of potatoes, leeks, onions and parsely? Of course I can try this out but I was hoping someone had something they used that they thought was foolproof?

I've also thought of just using white wine wherever chicken stock was called for but I did this on one recipe and it didn't taste that great. I'm not sure it was the stock or something else. Maybe I should have diluted with water?

Would love to hear if someone has a "rule of thumb" for using a substitution for stock that allows them not to have to go to a lot of trouble.

--Alice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Vegetable Stock

Found the recipe below in a cook book "A New Way to Cook" which I modifed to make it vegetarian and simpler and also added celery because I was going grocery shopping and needed to clean out the residual produce tidbits in my fridge.

It works and tastes pretty good. I have started keeping leeks in my fridge on a regular basis because they really "mellow out" recipes. They are a bit expensive here in Houston now but I find them worth it.

I did do some approximation on the recipe below and not suprisingly they worked. The potato I used was large. Maybe the leeks too because it took more than 6 cups of cold water to cover the veggies.

I also modified the method of cooking. I put all ingredients in a slow cooker, setting low and cooked for 8 hours. I put this on when I was cleaning out my fridge to go grocery shopping.

================
(This is mostly the way it was in the book except
for elimination of meet and addition of celery)

Leek Broth (or Vegetarian Stock)

3 medium leeks , trimmed, coarsely chopped and rinsed
1 small potato, (about 3 ounces, peeled and cut into chunks)
1 medium shallot (thinly sliced)
1 celery stalk/stick
2 teaspoons unsalted butter or extra-virgin olive oil
6 cups cold water
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar

In a large heavy saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, reduce the heat, and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 4 cups, about 45 minutes.

Straing the broth hrough a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible, discard the solids.

The broth can be refrigerated, covered, for about 4 days or frozen for up to 2 months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here