Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_gw

RECIPE: Veggie burgers from scratch

Dottie
23 years ago

I know there are quite a few vegetarian products on the market, but many seem to be even more expensive than the meat they are trying to imitate. I'd really appreciate a good recipe for veggie burgers that I can make myself. Thanks! Corrie

Comments (8)

• pea
    23 years ago

hi, I have a recipie of my momm's that uses refried beans, it not vegan cause it has eggs tho:

a can of refried bean
    3 eggs
    a long package of saltines(you know 1/4 of the box of crackers)

put beans and eggs in a bowl, crumble up crackers and mix in with bean and eggs, hand mix it all in so they are combined throughly. Grease fryng pan with a bit of veggie oil and place generous spoonful of the bean mixture and kinda flatin it with a burger flipper, cook on medium heat on one side til you can flip it with out burger falling apart and cook other side, cook til it doesn't feel too soft in the inside middle. Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste, it makes quite a few burgers, they freeze well. It doesn't have the same texture as the ones in the store but they taste so good. Good between bread or dipped in salsa.
    hope this helps, peace, pea

• Kay
    23 years ago

Hi ! This is one I like, and it's pretty simple to make, too :D ...just wish I could remember where I got it so I could send out proper kudos!

Lentil Burgers - I can't believe it's not real meat!

Ingredients:

1 cup dry lentils
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp. chili power
    1 tsp. liquid smoke
    1 tablespoon tamari
    1/2 pkg. tofu
    1/2 cup wholewheat flour

Directions:

Wash and cover lentils 1/2" with water. Add chopped onion, garlic, chili powder. Cook till tender and add Tamari and liquid smoke. While lentils are cooking, in a blender, chop 1/2 pkg.
    tofu and add 1/2 cup wholewheat flour. When lentils are tender, mix with tofu/flour mixture. This should be real thick and easy to spoon onto a hot griddle in the shape of a burger. You
    may want to add 1 T. of Olive oil on the griddle. Cook on each side.

Serves: 4

Preparation time: 1 hr

• Heidi Rogers
    23 years ago

Dottie,

Try the book "Vegetarian Burgers" by Indian author Bharti Kirchner (available at the library). It's has a huge variety of yummy burger recipes that are easy to prepare (not just "Indian" inspired). There are burgers made with bean, grains, potatoes, yams, and just about anything else you can think of, so these recipes lend themselves well to the "use up what's left in the fridge" meal. Also try "20 Minutes to Dinner: Quick Low-Fat, Low-Calorie Vegetarian Meals" by Bryanna Clark Grogan (library). This book is a real gem, as it is vegan (no-dairy), has several burger recipes, (quite good), and uses a low-cost approach. Enjoy!

• Dottie
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I'd really rather not have to battle my way through a book full of burger recipes. Doesn't anyone have a recipe they use on a regular basis, something that tastes just a little bit like a real hamburger? My hubby would be so grateful! Corrie

• sue
    23 years ago

I use Ground Round made by Yves - I combine it with one egg, breadcrumbs,ketchup and spices (you use it like you would use ground beef). The Ground Round can be used in chili or anywhere you would use regular ground beef and it's great!

• LALA
    23 years ago

What I usually do is soak any type of beans like split peas, lentals, chickpeas, black beans, pintos or whatever you have and find works good. Let them soak at least over night. Blend in a blender adding just enough water for the beans to get blended. After blending all the beans add a handful of nutritional yeast and oatmeal. Add sea salt and poultry seasoning to taste. It needs quite a bit to flavor it. You can add any other spices that your heart desires. You want the batter to be the consistency of pancake batter. Fry on a pan just like pancakes. You will love this way of making burgers. You can try different types of beans and get the ones that taste best for you. Sometimes I just mix a bunch of different types. Enjoy!!!

• Dottie
    Original Author
    23 years ago

ATTENTION CORRIE AGAIN!!!!
    I have been diluged with e-mails regading recipes and inquirys that I have supposedly made.Someone named Corrie has been using my name and e-mail in asking for recipes and giving them,I have never made a posting on this forum.So PLEASE CORRIE when you make a posting or send e-mails check and make sure that you use your own name and e-mail
    DOTTIE

• Teri
    23 years ago

Dottie - I wish you luck. Over the last 13 years I have searched for burgers that taste like beef - to no avail. There are lots of good recipes and prepared burgers, but beef they are not. I have good bean burgers, veggie burgers, grain burgers, mushroom burgers and some that are pretty close to chicken. But beef? Not yet.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions