Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: looking for vegetable pate recipe?

Posted by
Kat
(leekim@lemoorenet.com) on
Sat, Aug 12, 00 at 20:21

I used to buy this stuff. It was either called vegetable pate or vegetarian pate, I can't remember which. I got it at Safeway. It came in a tin and I think it was near the shrimp and tuna. It has been a long while since I have seen it. It was great on crackers and had great spices in it. Are any of you familiar with this product? I can't remember the brand name. Do any of you have any recipes that sound similar to this? I tried to buy it the last time I went to San Francisco to visit my Mom, but the store didn't carry it anymore. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Kat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: looking for vegetable pate recipe?

My natural food store here in San Francisco has a couple of varieties of veggie pate. It's also available at Beverages and More - I don't know if you have this chain in your area. I will check the ingredients when I'm there next.

A friend of mine used to make vegetarian pate out of canned mushrooms and walnuts, blended in a food processor. It was wonderful, and you'd never guess the ingredients from tasting it. Sorry, I don't have the exact recipe, but I believe those were the only two ingredients so you could probably figure it out by experimenting.

o

This one has an interesting variety of spices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creole pate

o

Garbanzo Pate'
1 can garbanzos,drained,rinsed,and mashed
1/2 c.+ 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. nutritional yeast
2 Tbs. pimentos
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 grated raw potato
4 stalks of green onion,thinly sliced
1 grated carrot
1 grated stalk of celery
1 1/2 c. warm water
thyme,basil,sage,garlic,salt,turmeric
(1 tsp. of each or more to taste)
Directions: Mix ingredients together. Pour into a 9 in. square pan. Bake 350 degrees F. for about one hour. Top will be firm, but inside will be sticky and will cool to a pate-like consistency. Refrigerate and serve cold on crackers, or as a spread for sandwiches.Freezes well also.

o

Hi, this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but might make a tasty substitute.

Smoked Tofu Pate

4 tbsps hard vegetarian margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 bunch watercress, roughly chopped
3/4 cup smoked tofu
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Melt the margarine and fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the watercress and stir for 15 seconds until it becomes limp. Place in food processor with remaining ingredients. Process until smooth and leave to cool. Serve with crackers, bread, or stuffed in celery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarian-Tips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here