Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Sauteed Tofu - Help

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 16:12

The most lucious sandwich (to me) is sauteed tofu with soy and nutritional yeast added as it's cooking, plus mayo, sprouts and avacado slices on ww pita bread. My problem is that no matter what I do, the tofu sticks to the iron pan, and I rather enjoy it crispy. Any secrets as to how to crisp it without it sticking? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Sauteed Tofu - Help

I'm still working on this myself but this is what works reasonably well: I coat the tofu with cornstarch and use a non-stick pan with a bit of oil over a medium high heat -- don't try to turn until you're pretty sure the bottom is browned. It's tricky to get it really crispy like I get at Asian restaurants but that's what works for me, more or less :)

I also always use extra-firm or firm tofu that I've frozen first, thawed, and lightly pressed. I generally freeze my tofu first because I like the texture it gets from freezing and thawing.

My understanding is that deep-frying probably yields the best results for crispiness but I haven't tried that yet. I might have to get out my wok and try it next time.

I love nutritional yeast -- do you use that to coat the tofu?

o
RE: RECIPE: Sauteed Tofu - Help

Here it is years later but - yes, I coat with nutritional yeast. Also use it in soups too. Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here